Thermodynamics equilibrium with respect to matter flow

In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium temperature and volume for a cylinder with a movable partition, with constraints on the total volume, pressures, internal energy, temperatures, and chemical potentials of species 1 in the two chambers. The solution for a rigid partition is described, but the solution for a movable partition remains unclear.
kiyoshi7

Homework Statement

I don`t know if the image will show so I`m also adding a link to the image of the problem. This problem is a modification my professor made to the one in the link below(*), he changed the rigid diathermic partition into a movable partition. I`m supposed to find the equilibrium temperature and volume. He also mentioned that he isn`t sure that it can be solved, he kind of changed it spontaneously. Also sorry for the math, I don`t know how to format it here in the forums.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18F64i9f9BeFHGuygQj4hpIK5yQjYzZPl
open

* taken from: thermodynamics and introduction to thermalstatistics vol. 2, Herbert B. Callen.

Homework Equations

S= AU1/3V1/3N1/3 + (BN1N2)/N
N = N1+N2
find equilibrium assuming the following
Tr = 2Tl = 400k
37B2 = 100A3V0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve it when the cylinder is separated by a rigid diathermic permeable partition, but I can`t figure out how deal with the movable partition in this problem. So I`ll describe the solution for the rigid partition.
first find the intensive parameters:
∂S/∂U = 1/T = (1/3)(AU1/3V1/3/N2/3)
∂S/∂N1 = -u1/T
then rewrite ∂S/∂U as U in function of temperature:
U = T3/2(A3/2V1/2N1/2)/(33/2)
Total Energy:
Ut= [(A3/2V1/2)/(33/2)]( Nr1/2 Tr3/2 + Nl1/2 Tl3/2 )
I imagine that here I`d do the same as I did with N and T ie: (V1/2l N1/2l T3/2l + V1/2r N1/2r T3/2r), But I can't figure out how to solve it after this

Physics news on Phys.org
kiyoshi7 said:

Homework Statement

I don`t know if the image will show so I`m also adding a link to the image of the problem. This problem is a modification my professor made to the one in the link below(*), he changed the rigid diathermic partition into a movable partition. I`m supposed to find the equilibrium temperature and volume. He also mentioned that he isn`t sure that it can be solved, he kind of changed it spontaneously. Also sorry for the math, I don`t know how to format it here in the forums.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18F64i9f9BeFHGuygQj4hpIK5yQjYzZPl
open

* taken from: thermodynamics and introduction to thermalstatistics vol. 2, Herbert B. Callen.

Homework Equations

S= AU1/3V1/3N1/3 + (BN1N2)/N
N = N1+N2
find equilibrium assuming the following
Tr = 2Tl = 400k
37B2 = 100A3V0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve it when the cylinder is separated by a rigid diathermic permeable partition, but I can`t figure out how deal with the movable partition in this problem. So I`ll describe the solution for the rigid partition.
first find the intensive parameters:
∂S/∂U = 1/T = (1/3)(AU1/3V1/3/N2/3)
∂S/∂N1 = -u1/T
then rewrite ∂S/∂U as U in function of temperature:
U = T3/2(A3/2V1/2N1/2)/(33/2)
Total Energy:
Ut= [(A3/2V1/2)/(33/2)]( Nr1/2 Tr3/2 + Nl1/2 Tl3/2 )
I imagine that here I`d do the same as I did with N and T ie: (V1/2l N1/2l T3/2l + V1/2r N1/2r T3/2r), But I can't figure out how to solve it after this
It seems to me the constraints on this problem for the final state are:

The total volume is constant
The pressures in the two chambers are equal
The total internal energy is constant
The temperatures in the two chambers are equal
The chemical potentials of species 1 in the two chambers are equal. The chemical potential can be obtained by taking the partial derivative of U with respect to N1 at constant S and V.

Related to Thermodynamics equilibrium with respect to matter flow

1. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium refers to a state in which there is no net change in the macroscopic properties of a system over time. It is achieved when the system's energy and matter are distributed evenly and there is no flow of energy or matter between different parts of the system.

2. How is thermodynamic equilibrium related to matter flow?

In thermodynamics, matter flow refers to the movement of matter between different parts of a system. In a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, there is no net matter flow as the matter is distributed evenly throughout the system. This means that the system does not experience any changes in its macroscopic properties over time.

3. What factors affect thermodynamic equilibrium in relation to matter flow?

The factors that affect thermodynamic equilibrium with respect to matter flow include temperature, pressure, and the chemical composition of the system. Changes in any of these factors can disrupt the equilibrium state and cause matter flow within the system.

4. How does thermodynamic equilibrium impact chemical reactions?

In a state of thermodynamic equilibrium, the forward and reverse reactions in a chemical system occur at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products. This means that the system is at a stable state and chemical reactions will not proceed further unless an external force is applied to disrupt the equilibrium.

5. How can thermodynamic equilibrium be achieved in a system?

Thermodynamic equilibrium can be achieved in a system by allowing sufficient time for the system to reach a stable state. This can be done by controlling the factors that affect the equilibrium state, such as temperature and pressure, and ensuring that there is no external input of energy or matter into the system. Additionally, a system can also reach equilibrium through various physical and chemical processes, such as diffusion and chemical reactions.