Thermodynamics- Conservation of energy

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their thermodynamics assignment due tomorrow. They need assistance in reducing the conservation of energy formula to apply to Earth. The attempt at a solution involves adjusting the formula to only include (Qin-Qout) + (Win-Wout) on the left-hand side, and ΔKE + ΔPE on the right-hand side. However, it is noted that this may not be accurate and further clarification is needed.
tsukuba

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I was hoping I could get someone to help me out please. I am having great difficulty with my thermodynamics course and I have an assignment due tomorrow.
I need to reduce the conservation of energy formula so that it applies to Earth so I can work on my assignment.

Homework Equations

(Qin-Qout) + (Win- Wout) + (Emass,in- Emass,out)= ΔU + ΔKE + ΔPE

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the way I think it is
(Qin-Qout) + (Win- Wout) = ΔKE + ΔPE

please let me know if I'm right or if I should add or remove other components
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
We need the context and the specific meanings of the letters to hep you.
Note: for conservation of energy, the total change in energy is zero. If you have anything left over, energy is not conserved.
In thermodynamics, the "system" is usually not closed in this way - energy enters of leaves the (say) gas as heat, work, or with the mass (i.e. as kinetic energy in an escaping gas). So the LHS of your relation looks good. The RHS is a bit of a mystery, it looks to me like you have terms from different models.
These would be internal energy contributions from different sources right?

So it would help to see your reasoning.

Related to Thermodynamics- Conservation of energy

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of how energy is transferred between different forms and how it affects matter. It is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

3. How does thermodynamics relate to the conservation of energy?

Thermodynamics is based on the principle of the conservation of energy. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed in a system, and how this affects the overall balance of energy in the system.

4. What are some examples of energy conservation in everyday life?

Energy conservation can be seen in many common activities, such as turning off lights when leaving a room, using energy-efficient appliances, and carpooling to reduce fuel consumption. It is also important in industrial processes, where energy-efficient technologies are used to reduce waste and cost.

5. How is the conservation of energy applied in the study of thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the conservation of energy is applied in the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant. This law is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and power plants, and is essential in designing efficient and sustainable systems.