Thermodynamics, composite bar linear expansion

In summary, the problem involves a composite bar made of two metals with different coefficients of linear thermal expansion. The bar expands by 0.5% with a temperature rise of 500 K. By setting up an equation and solving for the ratio of the initial lengths, it is determined that L1/L2 = 1/12.
RJWills

Homework Statement

"A composit bar is made of two metals joined in series, with coefficients of linear thermal expansion 2.2E-5 and 0.9E-5 K^-1 respectively. The bar expands by 0.5% in length with a temperature rise of 500 K. Calculate the ratio of the initial lengths of the two metal sections."

Homework Equations

The main equation I think to be useful is ΔL=α L ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that I cannot assume that the two bars will expand the same amount, meaning that the sum of ΔL1+ΔL2+L=1.005L...

500(ΔL1α1+ΔL2α2)+L=1.005L
500(ΔL1α1+ΔL2α2)/L=0.005

Whatever way I look at this I just see myself going round in circles :/

Physics news on Phys.org
RJWills said:
500(ΔL1α1+ΔL2α2)+L=1.005L

Are you sure you want the Δ's in this equation?

Also, can you express L in terms of the initial lengths of each section?

Hi RJWills! :smile:

What does the question ask for?

The ratio L1/L2 …

so call that ratio "r", and put it into the equation! :wink:

Okay so tried it the way you suggested, here's what I did:

500(L1α1+L2α2) +L1+L2 = 1.005(L1+L2)
1.011L1 + 1.0045L2 = 1.005(L1+L2)
Therefore L1/L2 = 1/12 (0.0833...)
right?

RJWills said:
Okay so tried it the way you suggested, here's what I did:

500(L1α1+L2α2) +L1+L2 = 1.005(L1+L2)
1.011L1 + 1.0045L2 = 1.005(L1+L2)
Therefore L1/L2 = 1/12 (0.0833...)
right?

Looks good. :smile:

Awesome thanks for the help guys :)

Related to Thermodynamics, composite bar linear expansion

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and other forms of energy.

2. What is a composite bar?

A composite bar is a material that is made up of two or more different materials, such as metals or polymers, that are bonded together. This allows for the material to have unique properties and characteristics that are different from its individual components.

3. How does linear expansion occur in composite bars?

Linear expansion occurs in composite bars when the individual materials expand or contract at different rates due to changes in temperature. This causes the composite bar to deform and change in length, resulting in thermal stress and potential structural issues.

4. What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts in response to a change in temperature. It is denoted by the symbol α and is expressed in units of length per degree Celsius or Kelvin (e.g. m/m°C or m/mK).

5. How can the coefficient of linear expansion be calculated for a composite bar?

The coefficient of linear expansion for a composite bar can be calculated by taking into account the individual coefficients of expansion for each material and their respective proportions in the composite. This can be done using the rule of mixtures, which takes into consideration the volume fractions and coefficients of expansion for each material.