Thermodynamic Steam Generator Problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a heat recovery steam generator and a turbine. The main question is how the combustion products entering and exiting the system affect the water flow and temperature. It is noted that the temperature decreases when the combustion products exit and the combustion products are to be treated as air and an ideal gas. The purpose of the heat recovery steam generator is to transfer heat from the combustion products to the water. The given flow rates of both fluids are assumed to remain constant for solving the problem, and the question arises of how to calculate the heat transfer, possibly by converting volumetric flow rate to mass flow rate.
andycampbell1

Homework Statement

I have a problem which I will attach a picture of, regarding a system composing of a heat recovery steam generator and a turbine. I have to work out the power output of the turbine, which I think I will be fine with. What I would like to know is, how does the combustion products entering and exiting the steam generator affect the other input of water which also enters and exits the steam generator. I noticed that the temperature decreases when the combustion products exits the system. Does the drop in temperature mean that the heat transfers to the water flowing through the system? The combustion products are to be treated as air and an ideal gas.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 727
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heat transfer from the combustion products to the water is the general purpose of the heat recovery steam generator. For the purpose of solving this problem, assume that the given flow rates of the working fluid (water) and the combustion products remain constant.

How would I work this heat transfer out? I have a volumetric flow rate would I need to convert this to a mass flow rate?

Related to Thermodynamic Steam Generator Problem.

1. What is a thermodynamic steam generator?

A thermodynamic steam generator is a device that uses the principles of thermodynamics to convert heat energy into mechanical energy, which is then used to generate steam for various industrial processes.

2. How does a thermodynamic steam generator work?

A thermodynamic steam generator works by passing hot gases or steam through a series of tubes, which transfers heat to the water inside the tubes. This causes the water to boil and turn into steam, which is then used to power turbines and generate electricity.

3. What are the main components of a thermodynamic steam generator?

The main components of a thermodynamic steam generator include a boiler, heat exchanger, turbine, condenser, and a pump. The boiler is where the water is heated, the heat exchanger transfers heat from the hot gases or steam to the water, the turbine converts the steam's energy into mechanical energy, the condenser cools the steam back into water, and the pump circulates the water throughout the system.

4. What are the benefits of using a thermodynamic steam generator?

There are several benefits of using a thermodynamic steam generator, including its efficiency, reliability, and versatility. It can be used to generate electricity or power industrial processes, and it is also a renewable and environmentally friendly source of energy.

5. What are some common problems with thermodynamic steam generators?

Some common problems with thermodynamic steam generators include corrosion, scaling, and leaks. These issues can lead to decreased efficiency and potential safety hazards, so regular maintenance and monitoring are essential for optimal performance.