Thermo(concept Q, pic included)- How does internal energy increase but

In summary, we have two systems in this scenario: system 1, which is the water in the beaker, and system 2, which includes the walls and the bunsen burner. Heat is transferred from system 2 to system 1, causing the temperature of both systems to increase. However, as the water heats up, heat is also transferred back into system 2, causing the temperature of system 2 to increase as well. The change in internal energy of system 2 decreases due to the expansion of the system as it heats up.
thechamp

Homework Statement

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9990/fig24a.jpg"

The scenario is, the water in the beaker = system 1. Everything else, including walls = system 2.

The bunsen burner heats the water in the beaker. dU or the change in internal energy of system 2 decreases. dT or the change in temperature of system 2 increases. How can this be possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about this for a while. My bad hunch and how I would answer this on a test is that...system 1 increases in temperature and heat is transferred from the bunsen burner to system 1. However, heat is transferred back into system 2 because the bunsen burner is only part of system 2. This is what happens as both systems try to reach equilibrium. I still don't know why the temperature of system 2 would increase though. To be honest, I don't even know what system 2 is referring to when in relation to temperature, is it referring to the average temperature of the surroundings (air, bunsen burner, atmosphere, etc.). I'm really confused as you can tell, someone please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions on this scenario. I can understand your confusion and I am happy to provide some clarification. Let's break down the situation and look at it from a thermodynamic perspective.

Firstly, when we talk about a system in thermodynamics, we are referring to a specific region or volume of space that we are interested in studying. In this scenario, we have two systems: system 1, which is the water in the beaker, and system 2, which includes everything else, such as the walls and the bunsen burner.

Now, let's consider what happens when the bunsen burner heats the water in the beaker. This is an example of heat transfer, which is the transfer of thermal energy from one system to another due to a temperature difference. In this case, the bunsen burner is at a higher temperature than the water, so heat will flow from the bunsen burner to the water until they reach thermal equilibrium, where the temperature of both systems is the same. This is why the temperature of system 1 (the water) increases as heat is transferred to it from system 2 (the bunsen burner).

However, as you correctly pointed out, heat is also being transferred back into system 2 as the water heats up. This is because system 2 is not just the bunsen burner, but also includes the walls of the beaker and the surrounding air. These components of system 2 are also in contact with the heated water, so heat will flow from the water to the walls and air until they reach thermal equilibrium. This is why the temperature of system 2 (the walls, air, etc.) increases as well.

Now, you may be wondering why the change in internal energy of system 2 decreases as the temperature increases. This is because internal energy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its thermal energy and its potential energy. As the temperature of system 2 increases, so does its thermal energy, but the potential energy of the system (such as the energy in the bonds between molecules) may decrease due to the expansion of the system as it heats up. This results in a net decrease in the internal energy of system 2.

I hope this explanation helps to clear up your confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the great thinking and problem

Related to Thermo(concept Q, pic included)- How does internal energy increase but

1. How does internal energy increase?

Internal energy can increase through various processes such as heating, work being done on the system, or a chemical reaction taking place within the system.

2. Why does internal energy increase during a phase change?

During a phase change, such as from a solid to a liquid, the internal energy of the system increases because the molecules are gaining energy and moving further apart from each other. This requires an input of energy, which is reflected in the increase of internal energy.

3. Can internal energy decrease?

Yes, internal energy can decrease through processes such as cooling, work being done by the system, or a chemical reaction that releases energy. In these cases, the molecules within the system lose energy and become closer together, resulting in a decrease in internal energy.

4. How is internal energy related to temperature?

Internal energy and temperature are directly proportional, meaning as internal energy increases, so does temperature. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules within a system. As the molecules gain energy and move faster, the temperature increases.

5. What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system, including the kinetic and potential energy of its particles. Enthalpy, on the other hand, is the total heat content of a system and takes into account the internal energy as well as the energy required to change the system's state, such as during a phase change.