Thermal Physics - energy, microstates, and probabilities

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving equations and the attempt at solving it. The speaker is unsure of the mathematical methods used and asks for clarification. The equations can prove that a certain expression is equal to another, but the only issue is showing that a certain factor is approximately equal to 1.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot005.jpg

Homework Equations

Screen_Shot004.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part I'm not worried about, but the second part is worked out in the "relevant equations" section. Honestly, it looks like more magic than a Harry Potter movie going on there to me. I'm at a loss as to what mathematical method/s are being utilized to get to that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that I understand your concern. From the equations, you can prove exactly that:

[itex]\Omega(E=(r-s) \Delta) = \Omega(E=r \Delta)[\dfrac{r^s}{(N-r)^s}] [\dfrac{ (1-\frac{1}{r}) (1-\frac{2}{r}) ... (1 - \frac{s-1}{r})}{ (1 + \frac{1}{N-r}) (1 + \frac{2}{N-r}) ... (1 + \frac{s}{N-r})}][/itex]

Then the only issue is proving that if [itex]s \ll r[/itex] and [itex]s \ll (N-r)[/itex], then the last factor is approximately 1.

Related to Thermal Physics - energy, microstates, and probabilities

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at a microscopic level, focusing on the relationship between energy and heat transfer.

2. What is energy in thermal physics?

In thermal physics, energy is defined as the capacity of a system to do work or produce heat. It can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, and thermal energy.

3. What are microstates in thermal physics?

Microstates refer to the different possible configurations of a system at a microscopic level. In thermal physics, they are used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular energy state.

4. How are probabilities used in thermal physics?

In thermal physics, probabilities are used to determine the likelihood of a system being in a particular microstate. This helps in understanding the behavior of a system and predicting its overall thermodynamic properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermal physics?

Thermal physics has numerous real-world applications, including the design of efficient engines and refrigeration systems, understanding climate change and global warming, and developing materials with specific thermal properties, among others.