Thermal Physics > Air and Internal Energy

In summary, the problem asks for the internal energy U of one mole of air on a very hot summer day (35C). The molecules in air (mainly N2 and O2) have five degrees of freedom at this temperature. Using the kinetic energy formula, the internal energy is calculated to be U = \frac{5}{2}nRT, where n is the number of moles, N_A is Avogadro's number, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. The main challenge is remembering the different variables and their meanings.
Ivegottheskill
This Q has me stumped, I'm still flicking through some web pages and my textbook, but been unable to find a useful formula to work it out yet:

What is the internal energy U of one mole of air on a very hot summer day (35C)?

In answering the questions in this problem, assume that the molecules in air (mainly N2 and O2) have five degrees of freedom at this temperature (three translational and two rotational).

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivegottheskill said:
This Q has me stumped, I'm still flicking through some web pages and my textbook, but been unable to find a useful formula to work it out yet:

:confused:

For each molecule, the kinetic energy associated with each degree of freedom is [itex]\frac{1}{2}kT[/itex], so the kinetic energy of each molecule in the O2, N2 mixture is [itex]\frac{5}{2}kT[/itex]. Summing over the entire gas gives the internal energy [itex]U = N\frac{5}{2}kT = nN{_\mathrm{A}} \frac{5}{2}kT = \frac{5}{2}nRT[/itex].

P.S. Not PHYS1901 by any chance?

No. PHYS 1001 actually :eek:
I just found this forum, looks like a useful resource all round.

Thanks for clearing that up. My main problem I think is remembering all the letters and where they come from.

BTW, you have U = N*5/2*k*T = n*N_a*5/2*k*T

The only thing that changes there is N --> n*N_a

What is "N" if N=n*N_A

(Haven't worked out how to use the "Latex" code yet)

[itex]k[/itex] is defined as [itex]\frac{R}{N_\mathrm{A}}[/itex], N is the number of gas molecules.

Related to Thermal Physics > Air and Internal Energy

1. What is thermal energy and how is it related to air?

Thermal energy is the energy that is associated with the random movements of particles within a substance. In the case of air, thermal energy is the energy associated with the random movements of air molecules. This energy is responsible for the temperature of the air.

2. What is the difference between internal energy and thermal energy?

Internal energy refers to the total energy of all the particles within a substance, including both their kinetic and potential energy. On the other hand, thermal energy specifically refers to the energy associated with the random movements of particles within a substance. In other words, thermal energy is a component of internal energy.

3. How does temperature affect the internal energy of air?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the air molecules also increases. This means that the internal energy of the air also increases, as there is more energy associated with the random movements of the molecules.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of air and why is it important?

The specific heat capacity of air is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of air by one degree Celsius. It is important because it determines how much energy is needed to change the temperature of air, and it also affects how air transfers heat to other objects.

5. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to air and its internal energy?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of air, this means that the total internal energy of the air remains constant, but it can be transferred to other objects through processes like heating or cooling.