Thermal green function and complex integration

In summary, the integral in question can be evaluated by choosing a semicircular contour in the upper half-plane with radius $R$, centered at the origin. The integral over this contour vanishes in the limit $R \to \infty$, and the residues at the poles give the desired result.
mercc
green function and complex integration

Homework Statement

By reading this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0610391v4 I cannot proof the following relation on page 9 equation (23) , by a suitable choice of a contour in the complex omega plane:

[tex]\int\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^2} \coth(\frac{|\vec{p}|}{2T})\frac{\cos(|\vec{p}| t-\vec{p}\vec{x})}{|\vec{p}|}=
\int\frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} e^{i\vec{p}\vec{x}}\int\frac{d\omega}{2\pi} \coth(\frac{\omega}{2T})\frac{e^{-i\omega t}}{\omega^2-|\vec{p}|^2-i \epsilon}}[/tex]T stands for the temperature, therefore T>0.

Homework Equations

[tex]\cos(|\vec{p}| t-\vec{p}\vec{x})=\frac{1}{2} e^{i \vec{p}| t-i \vec{p}\vec{x}}+\frac{1}{2} e^{-i \vec{p}| t+i \vec{p}\vec{x}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I calculated the residues at [tex]\omega=-|{\vec{p}}|[/tex] and [tex]\omega=|{\vec{p}}|[/tex]. This gives me:

[tex]Res(\omega=-|{\vec{p}}|)=\frac{coth(-|{\vec{p}}|/2T)}{-2|{\vec{p}}|} e^{i |{\vec{p}}|t}=\frac{coth(|{\vec{p}}|/2T)}{2|{\vec{p}}|} e^{i |{\vec{p}}|t}[/tex] since the coth is an odd function.
[tex]Res(\omega=|{\vec{p}}|)=\frac{coth(|{\vec{p}}|/2T)}{2|{\vec{p}}|} e^{-i |{\vec{p}}|t}[/tex]

The -i epsilon term in the denominator says one should circumvent the pole at [tex]\omega=|{\vec{p}}|[/tex] anti-clockwise and at [tex]\omega=-|{\vec{p}}|[/tex] clockwise (Feynman prescription). By suming up these contributions i get almost the result (missing just a numerical factor [tex]-2\pi i[/tex]).

Then I investigated the behaviour of the integrand for [tex]|\omega|\rightarrow \infty[/tex] and found out that
[tex]coth(\omega /2T)\rightarrow 1, |\omega|\rightarrow \infty[/tex] and
[tex]e^{-i\omega t} \rightarrow 0, |\omega|\rightarrow \infty[/tex] only if t<0 in the upper omega halfplane and t>0 in the lower halfplane. Else the contributions at infinity to the contour integral would not vanish (there would not be an damping factor exp(-Im(w)t).

The Problem is that I do not really know how to choose the contour in the complex plane, since additionally the coth has poles on the imaginary axis at [tex]\omega=i 2\pi nT[/tex] for every integer n too. Especially coth has a simple singularity at [tex]\omega=0[/tex].
I asked my professor and he told me to try the following contour (look at the attachment). But even he does not know what to do with the pole at zero.
I am trying to figure this out now for more than a week, but no success.

I hope one of you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• contour.jpg
    contour.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:You should be able to evaluate the integral over $\omega$ as follows. The poles of the integrand are at $\omega = \pm |\vec{p}|$ and $\omega = i 2\pi nT$ for $n \in \mathbb{Z}$. Note that for $T>0$, the poles at $\omega = i 2\pi nT$ will all lie in the lower half-plane.Draw a semicircular contour in the upper-half plane with radius $R$ and centered at the origin. The integral over this contour is$$\oint_C d\omega \; \frac{\coth(\omega/2T)}{\omega^2 - |\vec{p}|^2 \pm i \epsilon}.$$The integral over the semicircle vanishes in the limit $R \to \infty$ because the integrand decays as $1/R$ (assuming $\epsilon > 0$). Therefore$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d\omega \; \frac{\coth(\omega/2T)}{\omega^2 - |\vec{p}|^2 \pm i \epsilon} = 2 \pi i \sum_{\text{poles}} \text{Res}\left[\frac{\coth(\omega/2T)}{\omega^2 - |\vec{p}|^2 \pm i \epsilon}, \omega\right].$$The poles of the integrand are at $\omega = \pm |\vec{p}|$ and $\omega = i 2\pi nT$ for $n \in \mathbb{Z}$. The residues at these poles are\begin{align}\text{Res}\left[\frac{\coth(\omega/2T)}{\omega^2 - |\vec{p}|^2 \pm i \epsilon}, \omega=\pm|\vec{p}|\right] &= \pm \frac{\coth(\pm |\vec{p}|/2T)}{2|\vec{p

Related to Thermal green function and complex integration

1. What is the thermal green function?

The thermal green function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics and quantum field theory to describe the behavior of a system at finite temperature. It is a function that relates the temperature-dependent properties of a system to its equilibrium state.

2. How is the thermal green function calculated?

The thermal green function is typically calculated using complex integration techniques. This involves integrating over a complex contour in the complex plane, which allows for the inclusion of temperature-dependent effects in the calculation.

3. What is the significance of complex integration in the thermal green function?

Complex integration is necessary for calculating the thermal green function because it allows for the inclusion of temperature-dependent effects. This is because the temperature is a complex variable, and complex integration allows for the calculation of functions with complex variables.

4. How is the thermal green function used in physics?

The thermal green function is used in a variety of areas in physics, including statistical mechanics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. It is particularly useful in calculating the properties of systems at finite temperature, such as phase transitions and thermal conductivities.

5. Can the thermal green function be applied to classical systems?

Yes, the thermal green function can be applied to classical systems, as well as quantum systems. In classical systems, the thermal green function is used to describe the distribution of particles at a given temperature, similar to how it is used in quantum systems to describe the distribution of excitations.