Thermal expansion of an interference fit

In summary, the person is trying to calculate the inside diameter of the housing when the bearing is running at a temperature difference of 280°C. They have tried using the linear thermal expansion equation but are unsure of the OD to use due to the complex geometry of the housing. They are looking for help and have also mentioned using the module young of the materials to calculate the change in diameters for interface fits. They also suggest looking at pages A82-A95 in the NSK catalog for further information.
pardoeje
I have a bearing that is fixed into its housing by means of an interference fit (to test the effects of having a bearing that has become stuck due to build up of contaminants). I am using a bearing of ID 15.92mm ± 0.005 made of High lead Tin Bronze Alloy with a thermal coefficient of expansion equal to 18.5x10-6 1/°C within a housing with a hole of 15.88mm ± 0.005 made of Grey Cast Iron with a thermal coefficient of expansion equal to 11.7x10-6 1/°C. How do I calculate what the inside diameter of the housing will be when the part is running (delatT = 280°C). I have tried using the linear thermal expansion equation but due to the complex geometry of the housing I'm not really sure what OD to use for this method?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Usually with interface fits the change in the diameters is proportional to the module young of the materials. (so if you have 0.01 mm interface fit and both materials have the same module young then one diameter is now D1+0.005mm and the other diameter is D2-0.005mm).
You can also try NSK catalog - pages A82-A95.

Last edited:

Related to Thermal expansion of an interference fit

1)

What is thermal expansion of an interference fit?

Thermal expansion of an interference fit refers to the change in dimensions of two mating parts due to temperature variations. When one part expands or contracts more than the other, it can create interference or clearance between the parts, affecting their fit and performance.

2)

What factors affect thermal expansion of an interference fit?

The material properties of the two mating parts, the temperature range, and the amount of interference or clearance between the parts can all impact the thermal expansion of an interference fit. Other factors such as surface finish and lubrication can also play a role.

3)

How is thermal expansion of an interference fit measured?

Thermal expansion of an interference fit is typically measured using instruments such as a dial indicator or a laser micrometer. These tools can accurately measure the change in dimensions of the mating parts as the temperature changes.

4)

What are the consequences of a poor interference fit due to thermal expansion?

A poor interference fit can result in premature failure of the parts or reduced performance. It can also cause excessive wear, noise, and vibration. In some cases, it may lead to complete failure of the assembly.

5)

How can thermal expansion of an interference fit be managed?

Thermal expansion of an interference fit can be managed by carefully selecting materials with similar coefficients of thermal expansion, reducing the amount of interference, and controlling the temperature range. Proper lubrication and surface finishes can also help minimize the effects of thermal expansion.