Thermal expansion (and the Michelson Morley experiment)

In summary, the author is trying to find the difference between two equations, one for an arm that has undergone a thermal expansion, and the other for an arm that has not. The author finds that the effect of the ether wind can be neglected, and gets the desired result by just letting β=0.
Pi Face

Homework Statement

(B) http://imgur.com/VL4aG
although I showed the rest of the problem for context if needed

Homework Equations

ΔL=αLΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a little confused by the wording of the problem. When we find the shift in ΔN, are we actually finding Δ(ΔN)?
Anyway, I started off by defining the original ΔN=2Lβ^2/λ as Ni, the initial ΔN value.
Then, I just replaced L with L+ΔL, which is the original arm length plus the change due to temperature. I called this new equation Nf

Nf=2(L+ΔL)β^2/λ=2(L+αLΔT)β^2/λ

Nf=2L(1+αLΔT)β^2/λ = 2Lβ^2/λ + 2Lβ^2ΔT/λ

Now to find the difference between the two, I subtract Ni from Nf

ΔN = Nf-Ni = 2Lβ^2/λ + 2Lβ^2ΔT/λ -2Lβ^2/λ = 2Lβ^2ΔT/λ

However, my answer for ΔN has an extra factor of β^2 in the numerator where the given expression in (B) does not. What did I miss? Am I not reading the question properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pi Face said:
...I started off by defining the original ΔN=2Lβ^2/λ as Ni, the initial ΔN value.
Then, I just replaced L with L+ΔL, which is the original arm length plus the change due to temperature.

Note that the formula ΔN=2Lβ2/λ was derived under the assumption that both arms of the apparatus have the same length. So, if you replace L by L + ΔL in that formula, you are just getting ΔN for an apparatus in which both arms have undergone the same thermal expansion ΔL.

You want to consider the effect of increasing the length of just one arm. This will cause a fringe shift even without an “ether wind”. So, assuming no ether wind (i.e., β = 0), how much extra time would it take for light to travel down and back along an arm that has been lengthened by ΔL? How many fringe shifts does this correspond to? Compare this to what you are supposed to show.

If you were to include the effect of the ether wind in this calculation, it would add corrections of order β2. Because of the square, this is a "second-order" effect. Since β is very small, the second-order correction may be neglected compared to the “zeroth-order” effect that you get by neglecting the ether wind.

Ah I see, I completely forgot that only one arm was being affected. I understand what you're saying, but I'm having trouble expressing it mathematically. How do I know which arm to lengthen? The same change in L will affect the parallel and perpendicular arms differently (different denominators, 1-B^2 vs sqrt(1-B^2), but the problem says there is only one value for the change in N.

Pi Face said:
Ah I see, I completely forgot that only one arm was being affected. I understand what you're saying, but I'm having trouble expressing it mathematically. How do I know which arm to lengthen? The same change in L will affect the parallel and perpendicular arms differently (different denominators, 1-B^2 vs sqrt(1-B^2), but the problem says there is only one value for the change in N.

It won't matter which arm expands. You can let β=0 since the effect you are trying to calculate is dominated by the difference in length of the arms rather than the effect of the motion of the earth. As I mentioned before, the effect of the motion of the Earth for this calculation only adds a very small "second-order" correction. So, you can get the desired result by just letting β=0. ΔN will be caused by the fact that the light will take a longer time to travel down and back the longer arm compared to the other arm. All you need to do is calculate the time difference and convert that into a number of fringes. [EDIT: Or, if you don't want to bother with calculating the time difference, just consider the total difference in distance traveled by the light in the two arms. Then consider how many wavelengths of light this difference in distance represents. Each wavelength of difference in distance corresponds to one fringe shift in the interference pattern.]

Last edited:

It looks like you have set up the problem correctly and your calculations are correct. The given expression in (B) also has an extra factor of β^2 in the numerator, so your solution matches the given expression. It is possible that there was a typo or mistake in the wording of the problem, but based on your solution, it seems like you have correctly interpreted and solved the problem. Good job!

As for the connection to thermal expansion and the Michelson Morley experiment, the Michelson Morley experiment was designed to detect the movement of the Earth through the hypothetical "ether" medium, which was thought to be the medium through which light waves traveled. The experiment was based on the principle of interferometry, which measures the interference patterns of light waves to determine changes in the length of the arms of the interferometer.

One of the potential sources of error in the Michelson Morley experiment was thermal expansion, as changes in the temperature of the arms could affect the length of the arms and thus the interference patterns. This is why your solution takes into account the change in length due to thermal expansion.

The experiment ultimately showed that there was no detectable movement of the Earth through the ether, which was a groundbreaking discovery that led to the development of the theory of relativity. So while thermal expansion may seem like a small and insignificant factor, it actually played a role in one of the most important experiments in the history of science.

Related to Thermal expansion (and the Michelson Morley experiment)

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the phenomenon in which a material expands or contracts in response to changes in temperature. When a material is heated, the molecules within it vibrate more and take up more space, causing the material to expand. Conversely, when a material is cooled, the molecules vibrate less and the material contracts.

2. How does thermal expansion affect everyday objects?

Thermal expansion can cause everyday objects to change in size, shape, and volume. For example, a metal bridge may expand in hot weather, causing it to buckle and potentially lead to structural damage. In contrast, a thermometer is designed to take advantage of thermal expansion to accurately measure temperature.

3. What is the Michelson Morley experiment?

The Michelson Morley experiment, conducted in 1887, was designed to measure the speed of light in different directions to test the existence of the "ether," which was believed to be the medium through which light waves traveled. The experiment found that the speed of light was constant in all directions, which contradicted the concept of an ether and led to the development of Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. What did the Michelson Morley experiment reveal about the concept of time and space?

The Michelson Morley experiment showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the direction in which it is measured. This led to the development of the theory of special relativity, which states that time and space are relative and depend on the observer's frame of reference. This revolutionary concept changed our understanding of the universe and paved the way for further scientific exploration.

5. How does the Michelson Morley experiment relate to thermal expansion?

The Michelson Morley experiment indirectly relates to thermal expansion because it demonstrated the invariance of the speed of light, which is a fundamental physical constant. This constant is also used in the equations that describe thermal expansion, such as the coefficient of thermal expansion. Additionally, the experiment contributed to our understanding of the concept of time and space, which play a crucial role in the laws governing thermal expansion.