Thermal dilation formula discrepancy?

In summary, the equation is valid over a small temperature range, but may not be accurate for larger changes.
lookez
Considering the linear thermal dilation formula ΔL=Li*a*ΔT (length change equals initial length times thermal dilation coefficient times temperature change), I was wondering why does it not work backwards? am I using it wrong or is there something missing?

For instance if we assume a=5*10^-5 , ΔT=100 and Li=20 then ΔL will be = 20*0.00005*100 = 0.1 which gives us a new length of 20.1, now if we do ΔT=(-100) we get ΔL = 20.1*0.00005*(-100) = -0.1005 instead of -0.1!

The way I see it this implies that if you repeatedly raise and lower the temperature of an object it will get smaller and smaller until the length reaches zero or negative. And obviously that's impossible. What's going on? I do realize this formula seems to be only used for thermal expansion, when ΔT > 0, but isn't it supposed to work backwards too?

Science news on Phys.org
hello lookez, :welcome:

Good deduction! But that's why they make a reservation that this expression is valid over a small temperature range anyway. It's not high precision stuff, just an approximation -- good one.

And even though your expansion coefficient is pretty big, it still gives an accuracy of five microns on 20 cm for a hefty temperature change. Not bad at all.

This has nothing to do with thermal expansion per se. It's algebra - just that 1/(1+x) is not 1-x (but for small x it's close).

Well is there another more complete formula for this? I remember my teacher saying something about the "real" thermal dilation formula that comes from a theorem, but I can't find anything in my notes.

lookez said:
Well is there another more complete formula for this?
See the note at the end of the "Linear Expansion" section of this Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion#Linear_expansion
If either of these conditions does not hold, the equation must be integrated.
Do you know any integral calculus? The way a physics textbook would proceed is to make the changes infinitesimal, and then integrate over matching ranges in L and T: $$ \int_{L_1}^{L_2} \frac {dL} L = \alpha_L \int_{T_1}^{T_2} dT$$ (assuming that ##\alpha_L## is constant)

I see, my teacher did mention that we would need Calculus to understand, I'm not there yet. Thank you all for the answers!

Likes BvU

Related to Thermal dilation formula discrepancy?

What is thermal dilation?

Thermal dilation, also known as thermal expansion, is the tendency of matter to change in volume or length in response to a change in temperature.

What is the thermal dilation formula?

The thermal dilation formula, also known as the coefficient of thermal expansion, is a mathematical expression that relates the change in size of a material to the change in temperature. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and is measured in units of length per unit temperature.

Why is there a discrepancy in the thermal dilation formula?

There can be a discrepancy in the thermal dilation formula due to variations in the material properties, such as composition or structure, or due to errors in measurement. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific material being studied.

How can the thermal dilation formula discrepancy be minimized?

The thermal dilation formula discrepancy can be minimized by using precise and accurate measurement techniques, ensuring the material is in a controlled environment, and taking into account any factors that may affect the material's properties.

What are some real-life applications of thermal dilation?

Thermal dilation is used in various real-life applications, including in building and construction to account for the expansion and contraction of materials due to temperature changes, in the manufacturing of electronic devices to ensure proper fit of components, and in the design of bridges and roads to prevent damage from temperature changes.