How Is the Equilibrium Temperature Derived in a Coaxial Cylinder Configuration?

In summary, the problem discusses gas with thermal conductivity κ filling the space between two coaxial cylinders with a current I passing through the inner cylinder of resistivity ρ. The task is to find the equilibrium temperature of the inner cylinder Ta when the outer cylinder is held at a constant temperature Tb. The heat diffusion equation in cylindrical coordinates is solved and one boundary condition, T=Tb at r=b, is identified. The second boundary condition is found to be a Neumann boundary condition at r=a, satisfying Fourier's Law for heat flow. The heat flux density is related to the power dissipated by the resistive cylinder and can be calculated using Ohm's Law and the definition of electrical power. The resulting equation can be used to determine the
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

Gas with thermal conductivity κ fills the space between two coaxial cylinders
(inner cylinder radius a, outer cylinder inner radius b). A current I is passed through
the inner cylinder, which has resistivity ρ. Derive an expression for the equilibrium temperature of the inner cylinder Ta when the outer cylinder is held at a constant temperature Tb.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for the equilibrium case we have ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} =0##

Solving the heat diffusion equation in cylindrical coordinates with a heat source H we get

##T=-\frac{Hr^2}{4\kappa}+c_1 \ln{r} +c_2## where ##H=\frac{I^2\rho}{A^2}## where A is the C.S.A of the inner cylinder.

I can see that we have one boundary condition, namely ##T=T_b## at r=b but i cannot see the second boundary condition.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:
##T=-\frac{Hr^2}{4\kappa}+c_1 \ln{r} +c_2##
I don't think the term ##-\frac{Hr^2}{4\kappa}## should be here since solutions of the polar Laplace equation contains powers of ##r## only when there is angular dependence in the solution. Here the problem is radially symmetric.
Physgeek64 said:
but i cannot see the second boundary condition.
The other boundary condition is a neumann boundary condition at ##r=a##. The condition satisfies Fourier's Law for heat flow
$$\mathbf{q}=-k\nabla_{r=a} T$$
##\mathbf{q}## is the heat flux density which is related to the power dissipated by the resistive cylinder.

NFuller said:
I don't think the term ##-\frac{Hr^2}{4\kappa}## should be here since solutions of the polar Laplace equation contains powers of ##r## only when there is angular dependence in the solution. Here the problem is radially symmetric.
I don't understand. We don't have angular dependence here so surely we can have non linear dependence on r. If you work through the algebra I can't see how I could not include this term.

NFuller said:
The other boundary condition is a neumann boundary condition at ##r=a##. The condition satisfies Fourier's Law for heat flow
$$\mathbf{q}=-k\nabla_{r=a} T$$
##\mathbf{q}## is the heat flux density which is related to the power dissipated by the resistive cylinder.

I'm not too sure how to use this without knowing how to calculate q

Physgeek64 said:
We don't have angular dependence here so surely we can have non linear dependence on r.
Correct, so the solution depends on the natural log of ##r##, which is non-linear. Terms involving powers of ##r## would generally have a sin and/or cosine term attached to it. Since there is no angular dependence, those terms should not appear in the solution.
Physgeek64 said:
I'm not too sure how to use this without knowing how to calculate q
The power dissipated by the resistive inner cylinder can be found from ohms law and the definition of electrical power as
$$P=I^{2}R$$
and the resistance ##R## is related to resistivity ##\rho## by
$$R=\rho\frac{l}{A}$$
where ##l## is the length of the cylinder and ##A## is the cross sectional area.

Since the system is assumed to be at equilibrium, the electrical power dissipation should be equal to the rate of energy dissipation as heat. The heat flux out of the inner cylinder is then
$$P=\oint_{r=a}\mathbf{q}\cdot d\mathbf{a}$$
Since the flux is radially symmetric, ##\mathbf{q}## can be taken out of the integral giving
$$P=qA=q2\pi a l$$
Using these formulas can you construct an equation for ##q##?

Physgeek64 said:

Homework Statement

Gas with thermal conductivity κ fills the space between two coaxial cylinders
(inner cylinder radius a, outer cylinder inner radius b). A current I is passed through
the inner cylinder, which has resistivity ρ. Derive an expression for the equilibrium temperature of the inner cylinder Ta when the outer cylinder is held at a constant temperature Tb.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for the equilibrium case we have ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} =0##

Solving the heat diffusion equation in cylindrical coordinates with a heat source H we get

##T=-\frac{Hr^2}{4\kappa}+c_1 \ln{r} +c_2## where ##H=\frac{I^2\rho}{A^2}## where A is the C.S.A of the inner cylinder.

I can see that we have one boundary condition, namely ##T=T_b## at r=b but i cannot see the second boundary condition.

Many thanks
Your solution assumes that the heat is being generated within the conducting medium (i.e., the gas) rather than within the inner cylinder. This is not what the problem statement says.

In this problem, they didn't state it, but you are supposed to assume that the thermal conductivity of the inner cylinder is very high so that its temperature is uniform. So you have a heat flow out of the inner cylinder through the intervening annular region of gas. This is straight heat conduction with no heat generation within the gas. You are supposed to determine the temperature difference across the annular region of gas, knowing the rate of heat flow.

Related to How Is the Equilibrium Temperature Derived in a Coaxial Cylinder Configuration?

1. What is the thermal diffusion equation?

The thermal diffusion equation is a partial differential equation that describes the change in temperature over time and space in a given material or system. It takes into account factors such as thermal conductivity, diffusivity, and energy sources or sinks.

2. How is the thermal diffusion equation used in science?

The thermal diffusion equation is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is particularly useful in studying heat transfer and thermal processes in materials, such as in the design of cooling systems or in the analysis of heat flow in the Earth's crust.

3. What are the assumptions made in the thermal diffusion equation?

The thermal diffusion equation assumes that the material being studied is homogeneous, with constant thermal properties and no internal heat sources. It also assumes that heat is transferred solely through conduction, and that temperature changes are small enough to neglect convection and radiation effects.

4. How is the thermal diffusion equation derived?

The thermal diffusion equation is derived from the laws of thermodynamics and Fourier's law of heat conduction. It can also be obtained from the more general heat equation by assuming a constant thermal diffusivity and neglecting convective and radiative terms.

5. Can the thermal diffusion equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the thermal diffusion equation cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods to obtain a solution. However, for simple geometries and boundary conditions, analytical solutions can be derived. It is also possible to approximate solutions using methods such as the separation of variables or the finite difference method.