Thermal dependancy of conductance

In summary: So, [t ex]\sigma[/t ex] decreases when temperature increases.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature and conductivity, specifically in the case of metals and semiconductors. While it is expected that conductivity decreases with increasing temperature in normal metals, it is not the case for semiconductors. The formula provided shows that conductivity can actually increase with temperature in semiconductors due to the promotion of charge carriers into the conduction band. The conversation also mentions the effect of temperature on the conductivity of steel, with a note that the interpretation of the terms in the formula may differ. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the properties of different materials and their behavior under varying conditions.
NEWO
I am struggling to work out out whether the conductance will increase or decrease with an increase in temperature. This I know sounds so basic yet i can't grasp something. I know that resistance increases with temperature so I would assume that conductivity will decrease. However a formula I have doesn't show this trend. below is the equation in question;

[tex] \sigma ^' = \frac {\sigma} {1+ \alpha \delta T} [/tex]

{my latex command wouldn't work so deleted the tex command to show the equation}

where

[tex] \delta{T}=T-T^{'}[/tex]

[tex] \sigma^{'}= [/tex] conductivity at common temperature = 293K

[tex] \sigma= [/tex] the conductivity at the measured temperature
T^{'}= the common temperature
T=Measured Temperature

which will then mean that;

[tex] \sigma= \sigma^{'}\beta [/tex]

where
[tex] \beta =1+\alpha \delta{T} [/tex]

which says that the conductivity will increase with temperature, from what I understand this doesn't make sense to me!

Please Help

Thanks

n

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Do you know what type of material this is for?

Note that for normal metals, it would be true that one would expect the conductivity to drop with increasing temperature. But for a semiconductor, this is not the case. Since increasing the temperature will promote more charge carriers into the conduction band, you will in fact increase its conductivity as the temperature increases.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you know what type of material this is for?

Note that for normal metals, it would be true that one would expect the conductivity to drop with increasing temperature. But for a semiconductor, this is not the case. Since increasing the temperature will promote more charge carriers into the conduction band, you will in fact increase its conductivity as the temperature increases.

Zz.

its for the following material

304, 316, 533, and 508 steel!

thanks for your relply,

NEWO said:
its for the following material

304, 316, 533, and 508 steel!

thanks for your relply,
I don't know exactly what kind of steels are labeled 304,316,533,508 ,but if Fe is highly dominant element in the alloy I would always expect that resistance increases as the temperature increases in the vast range of temperatures where techical applications of steels are present.

As ZapperZ wrote, in common metals, conductivity decreases with temperature. The problem is in the interpretation of the terms of your formula. \sigma is for T, \sigma' is for T', and \delta T is (T'– T). And all is OK if \alpha >0.

PS: Conductivity of carbon filaments (as in Edison electrical bulbs) increase with temperature.

So therefore am I right in saying that,

[tex] \sigma=\frac{ \sigma'}{ (1+\alpha\lbrackT-T'))[/tex]

Which implies that conductivity will decrease with temperature as long as alpha is less than 0

by the way for 304 steel alpha is [tex] 0.00172K^{-1} [/tex]

Thanks for you inputs!

Newo

p.s why won't my latex command work??

Last edited:
(As tex do not works I broke the tags with an space)

When [t ex]\alpha>0[/t ex], conductivity decreases with temperature:

[t ex]\sigma'={\sigma\over 1+\alpha(T'-T)}[/t ex]
If [t ex]\alpha>0[/t ex], when [t ex]T'[/t ex] increases, [t ex]\sigma'[/t ex] decreases.

Related to Thermal dependancy of conductance

What is thermal dependency of conductance?

Thermal dependency of conductance refers to the relationship between temperature and the ability of a material to conduct heat. It is a measure of how easily heat can pass through a material.

How is thermal dependency of conductance measured?

Thermal dependency of conductance is typically measured using a technique called thermal conductivity measurement, which involves applying a known temperature difference across a material and measuring the resulting heat transfer.

What factors affect thermal dependency of conductance?

The thermal dependency of conductance is affected by several factors, including the type of material, its composition, and its physical properties such as density and specific heat capacity. The temperature difference and the direction of heat flow also play a role in determining the conductance.

What are the practical applications of understanding thermal dependency of conductance?

Understanding thermal dependency of conductance is important in various fields, such as material science, engineering, and thermodynamics. It is crucial for designing efficient heat transfer systems, optimizing the performance of materials in extreme temperatures, and developing new materials with specific thermal properties.

How does thermal dependency of conductance affect our daily lives?

Thermal dependency of conductance plays a significant role in our daily lives, from the functioning of household appliances to the design of electronic devices. It also affects the efficiency of heating and cooling systems in buildings, and it is essential for understanding the Earth's climate and global energy balance.