Theory Without Spacelike Separations: Can It Exist?

• I
  • Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, spacelike separated events never affect each other. Could you have a theory without them?
Gerenuk
TL;DR Summary
Spacelike separated events never affect each other. Could you have a theory without them?
From what I understand only the past and future timelike separated events ever matter for me as an observer.

Does that mean there could be a theory where a thing like spacelike separated events does not exist? I mean they never matter for any prediction anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gerenuk said:
Summary: Spacelike separated events never affect each other. Could you have a theory without them?

From what I understand only the past and future timelike separated events ever matter for me as an observer.

Does that mean there could be a theory where a thing like spacelike separated events does not exist? I mean they never matter for any prediction anyway?
Of course they matter, even for you. If something explodes somewhere away from you, that event is space-like separated from an even on your world line. But this doesn't mean that the blast will not affect you later on.

martinbn said:
Of course they matter, even for you. If something explodes somewhere away from you, that event is space-like separated from an even on your world line. But this doesn't mean that the blast will not affect you later on.
Oh right. But for the equations of motion I only need timelike steps as only those affect each other?

Gerenuk said:
Oh right. But for the equations of motion I only need timelike steps as only those affect each other?
Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about worldlines in some specified spacetime, or solving Einstein's equations in an initial value formulation?

Ibix said:
Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about worldlines in some specified spacetime, or solving Einstein's equations in an initial value formulation?
It's not related to a particular calculation. I'm thinking if there are alternative theories which have no concept of spacelike separation, because for equations of motion you don't seem to need them. It's a bit vague, I know.

Gerenuk said:
It's not related to a particular calculation. I'm thinking if there are alternative theories which have no concept of spacelike separation, because for equations of motion you don't seem to need them. It's a bit vague, I know.
It is also not true. In what sense do you not need them for the equations of motion?

Gerenuk said:
I don't think it makes sense. We usually specify problems in terms of initial conditions and evolve them forwards or backwards in terms of timelike steps, sure. But that doesn't mean you can avoid thinking about spacelike separations. For example, in Minkowski space the vectors ##(2,\pm 1)## are timelike, but their difference is ##(0,2)## which is spacelike. So if you try to remove spacelike separations your vectors are no longer vectors (because there are cases where a sum of vectors is not a vector).

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Gerenuk said:
No, it is not possible. A given event on your worldline can only be affected by events in your past light cone. But many of those events are spacelike separated from each other.

martinbn said:
It is also not true. In what sense do you not need them for the equations of motion?
Equations of motion use infinitesimal steps and these equation are all that really matters. And since for the evolution only timelike steps (influences) matter, only timelike infinitesimal steps are needed. And if equations of motion are handled with pure timelike steps, maybe there is a way to write an theory equivalent to special relativity where you never get that some kind of infinitesimal distance is of the "other sign". Not sure how to phrase this mathematically.

Ibix said:
I don't think it makes sense. We usually specify problems in terms of initial conditions and evolve them forwards or backwards in terms of timelike steps, sure. But that doesn't mean you can avoid thinking about spacelike separations. For example, in Minkowski space the vectors ##(2,\pm 1)## are timelike, but their difference is ##(0,2)## which is spacelike. So if you try to remove spacelike separations your vectors are no longer vectors (because there are cases where a sum of vectors is not a vector).
I'm thinking if only timelike steps are needed, maybe there is a way to write the math differently, but never get infinitesimal distances of "different signs". This also mean that other theory could drop the concept of Minkowski space and its vectors.

I am not aware of such a theory and doubt that it is possible. If you find a professional scientific reference exploring such a theory then please open a new thread on the topic, citing that reference as a discussion point. Until then, this topic is closed.

Related to Theory Without Spacelike Separations: Can It Exist?

1. What is "Theory Without Spacelike Separations"?

"Theory Without Spacelike Separations" is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the possibility of a universe where objects can interact without the need for spacelike separations, meaning that there is no distance or time between them.

2. Is it possible for a universe to exist without spacelike separations?

While it is currently just a theoretical concept, there is no evidence to suggest that a universe without spacelike separations is impossible. However, it would require a major shift in our understanding of physics and the laws of nature.

3. How would a universe without spacelike separations function?

In such a universe, objects would be able to interact with each other instantaneously, without the need for any physical distance or time to pass. This would challenge our current understanding of cause and effect, as events could happen simultaneously and without any apparent cause.

4. What implications would a universe without spacelike separations have?

If such a universe were to exist, it would have profound implications on our understanding of space, time, and the fundamental laws of physics. It could potentially open up new possibilities for communication and travel, but it would also challenge many of our current scientific theories.

5. Is there any evidence for a universe without spacelike separations?

At this time, there is no empirical evidence to support the existence of a universe without spacelike separations. However, some theories in quantum physics and string theory suggest the possibility of a universe with non-locality, which could be seen as a step towards a universe without spacelike separations.