Theory and experiment relationship. your thought?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between theory and experiment and how it played a role in the speaker's education. They share their personal experience of switching from an engineering program to a science program due to a lack of theoretical and intellectual stimulation. The speaker also mentions their preference for collaboration between theory and experiment rather than solely focusing on one aspect.
ddcamp
theory and experiment relationship. your thought??

just general question about engineer. what do you think of the relationship between theory and experiment? what is a good experiment or bad experiment? is there something that important to you? can you share your thought when you were in college?

Physics news on Phys.org

Eh, slightly on topic, after I got my BS in Physics, I started an electrical engineering program. I had just found out my girlfriend was pregnant, so in a small panic, I veered my education towards money over interest. Bad mistake. The engineering faculty had no interest in the kinds of questions I asked and I realized eventually that it was the severe lack of theory and intellectual wankery (that I so love) that was missing.

Long story short, I switched back to the sciences.

I should note that I didn't even really like experiments in physics, but it was a hoop I was more than willing to jump through. I guess for me, the relationship between theory and experiment is that I'll do the theory, you give me data from your experiments... and that's worked out great for me so far: collaboration. But obviously, I'm no engineer.

Related to Theory and experiment relationship. your thought?

1. What is the difference between a theory and an experiment?

A theory is a well-supported explanation for a phenomenon or set of observations, while an experiment is a controlled test used to gather data and support or refute a theory.

2. How do theories and experiments relate to each other?

Theories and experiments are closely intertwined in the scientific process. Theories are developed based on existing evidence and are then tested through experiments. The results of experiments can either support or refute a theory, leading to further refinement or rejection of the theory.

3. Can a theory be proven through an experiment?

No, a theory cannot be proven through a single experiment. However, experiments can provide evidence that supports or refutes a theory. The more evidence that supports a theory, the stronger it becomes.

4. What happens if an experiment does not support a theory?

If an experiment does not support a theory, the theory may need to be revised or even discarded. This is an important part of the scientific process, as it allows for the continuous improvement and refinement of our understanding of the natural world.

5. Why is it important for theories to be tested through experiments?

It is important for theories to be tested through experiments because it allows for the validation or rejection of the theory. This helps to ensure that our understanding of the natural world is based on evidence and not just speculation or personal beliefs.