Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter

In summary, this book is a good introduction to classical mechanics for those with some experience in calculus.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a pretty good book. I used it to teach myself some intro grad level mechanics and thought that it was concise, has some interesting problems to solve, and has a nice set of chapters on fluids - in particular emphasizing waves in fluids - which was the primary selling point for me. I never did work through the chapter on Hamiltonian mechanics (I know - that is what most people are probably wanting to read first!). The chapters I have read tend to have sections that introduce applied mathematics techniques in a useful way; most techniques I had seen before but still learned something from the discussion. The level is a modest step above Marion and Thornton's classic undergrad book.

I cannot make a useful comparison with other grad mechanics books, since I am not so familiar with them. But if you are looking for a ton of material on Hamiltonian mechanics, this may not be the book for you, since the authors decided to emphasize continuum mechanics instead. For example, Goldstein's book has a ton more on Hamiltonian mechanics and other books likely do too.

I have the old hardback, but I see that it is now a Dover republication and the price makes this book a good deal.

jason

I actually bought this by mistake. I took it off the shelf and thought I was buying their Many-body theory book. I returned it after examining the book in the parking lot (before driving back 75 miles: Lucky). After deeper examination from a library copy, I find it I like Goldstein Classical Mechanics slightly better. The old Goldstein (without that chaos stuff was better). My classical mechanics course treated some of the chaos. I feel graduate students would be better served going through the small oscillations chapter or the special relativity chapter or later chapters that we skipped to do chaos.

Related to Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua by Fetter

1. What is the main focus of "Theoretical Mechanics of Particles and Continua" by Fetter?

The main focus of this book is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of classical mechanics, particularly the mechanics of particles and continua. It covers topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, rigid body motion, and fluid mechanics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of mechanics?

No, this book is not suitable for beginners. It is intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students with a strong background in mathematics and physics. It assumes prior knowledge of calculus, vector analysis, and classical mechanics.

3. Are there any practical applications discussed in this book?

Yes, practical applications of theoretical mechanics are discussed throughout the book. Examples include the motion of celestial bodies, the motion of particles in electromagnetic fields, and the behavior of fluids in various systems.

4. What sets this book apart from other textbooks on theoretical mechanics?

This book stands out for its clear and concise presentation of the material, its mathematical rigor, and its wide range of topics covered. It also includes numerous exercises and problems to help readers deepen their understanding of the concepts.

5. Is this book still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, this book is still highly relevant in modern physics as it provides a solid foundation in classical mechanics, which is essential for understanding many areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Many of the principles and concepts covered in this book are still widely used in current research.