Theoretical Lossless Wave Propagation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of directional wave propagation in elastic and inelastic materials. The participants consider whether there is an ideal theoretical medium that would allow for straight-line propagation of waves with energy being picked up at the other end. They also discuss the properties of real substances that cause them to diverge from this ideal medium. The conversation touches on the idea of a perfect medium described as a chain of atoms with ideal springs between them, and the example of vacuum and electromagnetic waves. The participants also consider the concept of diffraction in waves and whether it only occurs when waves hit a surface of a dissimilar substance.
inflector
I'm working on trying to understand wave propagation. In particular, I'm trying to understand directional wave propagation in elastic and inelastic materials.

Is there an ideal theoretical medium in which it is possible to propagate waves in an entirely directional i.e. straight-line manner so that the energy could be picked up at the other end of the medium? What would the properties of this ideal medium have to be?

Another way to get at the same issue is to ask what properties of real substances cause them to diverge from this ideal medium?

Thanks,

Curtis

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all the forces that acts between the units in a real lattice are not completely harmonic, so there is a deviation from the wave equation right there. In addition, the lattice is not perfect, leading to a spreading of the wave, and also to the fact that the atoms do not oscillate in a simple manner about their equilibrium position. In the end some of the effects from an initial "perfect" wave will end up in all sorts of directions within the medium, with different polarizations. In practice there will always be chaotic behaviour among such a large number of atoms.

But I know little about material science, so maybe someone else will chime in with some "real world" knowledge.

There is a theoretical medium that is described infinitesimally as a chain of atoms with ideal springs between them. And possibly something like it for 2d and 3d.

The vacuum and electromagnetic waves is a good example, but that ain't a medium...

Torquil

Thanks Torquil,

In what sense do you mean that the forces that act between not act harmonically? I'm not sure what "harmonic" means in that context.

Can I assume that vacuum acts as if it is such a perfect medium even though it isn't a medium? Therefore that a perfect medium would act that way i.e. that vacuum acts like a connection of infinitesimal particles interconnected by infinitesimal ideal springs in three dimensions with respect to the propagation of electromagnetic waves (even though we know there's no medium there)?

- Curtis

inflector said:
Thanks Torquil,

In what sense do you mean that the forces that act between not act harmonically? I'm not sure what "harmonic" means in that context.

I may be the case that I misused the term. I meant that the potential well that each atom is located within is not a simple x^2 shape like it would be with the ideal springs. It would be a good approx. though for very small fluctuations, so I guess in the limit of a weak wave it would not be a problem.

Can I assume that vacuum acts as if it is such a perfect medium even though it isn't a medium? Therefore that a perfect medium would act that way i.e. that vacuum acts like a connection of infinitesimal particles interconnected by infinitesimal ideal springs in three dimensions with respect to the propagation of electromagnetic waves (even though we know there's no medium there)?

Yes I think so.

inflector said:
<snip>

Is there an ideal theoretical medium in which it is possible to propagate waves in an entirely directional i.e. straight-line manner so that the energy could be picked up at the other end of the medium? What would the properties of this ideal medium have to be?
<snip>

All waves diffract. The only oddball case I can think of are "bessel beams"

www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~opttrap/atomtrap/papers/Bessel_CP.pdf[/URL]

But those involve a singularity in the wavefront; I don't think an elastic wave can support such a singularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
All wave diffract, yes, but don't they have to hit a surface of some dissimilar substance before this diffraction occurs?

Light, for example, diffracts when it passes through slits but not in a vacuum without slits. Right?

I'm not sure what you mean- I suppose if you had a point source isotropically radiating, the wavefront propagates without diffraction. But such a configuration does not ever occur, except in a limit: distant stars, (possibly) a single fluorescent molecule, etc.

Related to Theoretical Lossless Wave Propagation

1. What is theoretical lossless wave propagation?

Theoretical lossless wave propagation is a concept in physics that describes the movement of electromagnetic waves through a medium without any energy loss. In this ideal scenario, there is no dissipation of energy due to factors such as resistance, absorption, or scattering.

2. How is theoretical lossless wave propagation different from real-world scenarios?

In real-world scenarios, there is always some level of energy loss in wave propagation due to factors such as the properties of the medium, obstacles, and imperfections in the wave itself. Theoretical lossless wave propagation is an idealized concept that is used to understand the behavior of waves in a perfect scenario.

3. What are some applications of theoretical lossless wave propagation?

Theoretical lossless wave propagation is used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics. It can be applied to the design of communication systems, antennas, and medical imaging devices.

4. Is theoretical lossless wave propagation possible in reality?

No, it is not possible to achieve perfect lossless wave propagation in reality. However, by minimizing the effects of energy loss through careful design and optimization, we can get close to theoretical lossless propagation.

5. How is theoretical lossless wave propagation relevant to everyday life?

Theoretical lossless wave propagation may seem like a theoretical concept, but it has practical implications in our daily lives. It helps us understand the behavior of light, sound, and radio waves, which are integral to many technologies we use, such as wireless communication, medical imaging, and satellite navigation.