The Yo-yo problem: Please help.

• Thread starter wr8899
  • Start date
In summary: The force in the string is still the same, but the direction of the torque is different. This affects the direction of the net torque on the yo-yo and therefore the sign of the acceleration. If you take moments about the center of mass, the distance doesn't change, but the string force changes direction. The net effect is that the signs of the torques in the expression for the net torque have to be changed, but the final answer is still the same. I suggest you work through the problem both ways to see this.In summary, the given problem involves a yoyo with a mass of 2 kg and a moment of inertia of 0.0625 kg m^2. It is composed
wr8899

Homework Statement

A yoyo of mass m= 2 kg and moment of inertia I_cm= 0.0625 kg m^2 consists of two solid disks of radius R=0.25 m, connected by a central spindle of radius r=0.1875 m and negligible mass. A light string is coiled around the central spindle. The yoyo is placed upright on a flat rough surface and the string is pulled with a horizontal force F= 22 N, and the yoyo rolls without slipping.

(a) What is the x-component of the acceleration of the center of mass of the yoyo? (in m/s^2 )
(b)What is the x-component of the friction force? (in N)

Homework Equations

F = ma, torque = I*alpha, a = R*alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve the problem this way:

Using F = ma, and the given, I had F - friction force = ma, with friction force = 22 - 2a. With torque = I*alpha, I got 0.25*friction force - 0.1875*22 = 0.0625*alpha.

To put them all together, I got this equation, R(22-2a) - 0.1875*22 = (0.0625/0.25)*a
And then plugging the given, I got a = 1.83 m/s^2, but I don't think I'm doing this correctly.

Can someone please help me figure out where I went wrong right away. Thanks so much, sorry to be a bother here.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an ambiguity in the question. Is the horizontal string tangential to the spindle above or below the centre of mass? Taking it to be below, I get the same answer as you did. (The easiest way is to take moments about the point of contact with the ground - then you don't need to consider the frictional force.)

haruspex said:
There's an ambiguity in the question. Is the horizontal string tangential to the spindle above or below the centre of mass? Taking it to be below, I get the same answer as you did. (The easiest way is to take moments about the point of contact with the ground - then you don't need to consider the frictional force.)

What difference does it make if it is above the centre of mass?

Ruitker said:
What difference does it make if it is above the centre of mass?

It affects the direction of the torque produced by the string about the center of mass.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
It affects the direction of the torque produced by the string about the center of mass.

So in this instance, how would the formulae change?

The signs of the torque terms depend on your conventions for positive and negative torque and whether or not the string is being pulled to the right or to the left as viewed from the side. You haven't specified these details. Once you are clear on the setup, you should be able to decide if a particular torque is positive or negative when setting up the equation.

Ruitker said:
So in this instance, how would the formulae change?

If you use my approach, taking moments about the point of contact with the ground, you will see that the moment of the tension in the string changes because the distance is either R+r or R-r.

Related to The Yo-yo problem: Please help.

1. What is the Yo-yo problem?

The Yo-yo problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum distance traveled by a yo-yo as it is released from a given height and then retrieved back to the same height.

2. What are the applications of the Yo-yo problem?

The Yo-yo problem has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to optimize the design of yo-yos and other circular motion devices, as well as in the development of algorithms for motion planning and control.

3. What are the main factors that affect the solution to the Yo-yo problem?

The main factors that affect the solution to the Yo-yo problem are the initial height of release, the length of the string, and the mass and shape of the yo-yo. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

4. How is the Yo-yo problem solved?

The Yo-yo problem can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as calculus and differential equations. It can also be solved using computer simulations and numerical methods.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the Yo-yo problem?

Yes, the Yo-yo problem has real-life applications in the design and optimization of yo-yos, as well as other circular motion devices such as roller coasters and Ferris wheels. It can also be applied to the motion of pendulums and satellites.