The work of the magnetic force

In summary, two long parallel wires with current flowing in the same direction are placed on a table and are observed to get closer to each other. However, this seems to contradict the fact that magnetic force does not do work. The question then arises, what is the source of energy for the work done on the wires? Possible energy sources could include normal and gravitational forces, but in this scenario, the only viable source seems to be the magnetic force itself. To gain a better understanding, one could look at the example of an electric motor, which also utilizes magnetic forces to rotate a load.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

We put 2 very long parallel wires on a table, in both of them the current flows at the same direction. As a result, they get closer to each other.
Does this create a conflict with the fact that magnetic force does not do work?
What is the energy source for the work done on the wires?

Homework Equations

Irrelevant

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I Just can't figure this out, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ethan,

PF rules forbid help if no attempt is made, so 'dunno' is not good enough, I'm afraid...

what energy sources are there in this scenario ?

BvU said:
Hi Ethan,

PF rules forbid help if no attempt is made, so 'dunno' is not good enough, I'm afraid...

what energy sources are there in this scenario ?
I just don't really know. The only source I can think of is the magnetic force.

Eitan Levy said:
the fact that magnetic force does not do work

I know it doesn't, but what can be the source of energy in here? Normal and gravity don't seem to be the sources to me, so what can be the source?

Can anyone give a hint? I really have no clue.

Consider an electric motor which is a similar set up. What does that need in order to make it spin/rotate a load?

Related to The work of the magnetic force

1. What is the magnetic force?

The magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the interactions between magnetic materials and electrically charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

2. How does the magnetic force work?

The magnetic force works by creating a magnetic field around a magnet or electrically charged particle. This field exerts a force on other magnetic materials or charged particles, causing them to either attract or repel each other.

3. What are the applications of the magnetic force?

The magnetic force has a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including powering electric motors and generators, storing data on hard drives, and medical imaging technologies such as MRI.

4. Can the magnetic force be turned on and off?

Yes, the magnetic force can be turned on and off by manipulating the magnetic field. This can be done by using an external source of electricity to create an electromagnet or by changing the orientation of magnetic materials.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic force measured?

The strength of the magnetic force is measured in units called teslas (T). This unit is named after the inventor of the electric motor, Nikola Tesla, and is a measure of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle.