The vector potential and the Hamiltonian?

A+v_i\frac{\partial A}{\partial r_i}In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the Hamiltonian of a particle in an external field defined by vector and scalar potentials. The problem asks to show a relationship between the time derivative of the vector potential and the Hamiltonian equations of motion. The attempted solution involves using the first Hamiltonian equation for velocity and the chain rule to simplify the equation. However, the person is unsure how to proceed with the other terms in the equation. The expert advises using the chain rule in index notation to simplify the equation.
jeebs
Hi,
I have a problem involving the Hamiltonian of a particle of mass m, charge q, position r, momentum p, in an external field defined by vector potential A and scalar potential X. Here's the Hamiltonian:

H(r,p) = (1/2m)[p - qA(r,t)]2 + qX(r,t) = (1/2m)(pjpj - 2qpjAj + q2AjAj) + qX

The problem I have to solve is that i have to show that

[tex]\dot{A}[/tex] = [tex]\partial _{t} A + (v \bullet \nabla)A[/tex]

My attempted solution:

When I put this into Hamilton's equations of motion, (which are the following:)

[tex]\frac{dr_{j}}{dt} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_{j}}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dp_{j}}{dt} = - \frac{\partial H}{\partial r_{j}}[/tex]

I get : [tex]\ \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_{j}} = (1/m)(p_{j} - qA_{j}) = \frac{dr_{j}}{dt} = v_{j} [/tex]

and : [tex]\ \frac{\partial H}{\partial r_{j}} = (\frac{q^{2}A_{j}}{m} - \frac{qp_{j}}{m})\frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial r_{j}} + q\frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}}= - \frac{dp_{j}}{dt} = F_{j} [/tex]

I am 99% certain these are correct.

Using what I got for the first differential equation, i find that A_{j}=(1/q)(p_{j} - mv_{j})

hence [tex]\ \dot{A} = \frac{1}{q}(\frac{dp_{j}}{dt} - m\frac{dv_{j}}{dt}) [/tex]

[tex]\ = \frac{1}{q}((-(\frac{q^2A_{j}}{m} - \frac{qp_{j}}{m})\frac{dA_{j}}{dr_{j}} + q\frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}}) - m\frac{dv_{j}}{t})[/tex]

[tex]\ = (\frac{p_{j}}{m} - \frac{qA_{j}}{m})\frac{\partial A_{j}}{\partial r_{j}} - \frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}} - m\frac{dv_{j}}{dt}) [/tex]

[tex]\ = (v_{j}.\nabla)A_{j} - \frac{\partial X}{\partial r_{j}} - m\frac{dv_{j}}{dt} [/tex]

and this is as far as I get really.

First off, am I correct in the way i got to the (v.\nabla) part? (ie. using the first Hamilton equation for velocity?)

Assuming that is correct, I haven't been able to find a way to deal with the other terms in the equation... the advice given on the question sheet is to use the chain rule in index notation, but I don't see where this comes in handy for this question.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to tackle this one?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're making things much too complicated...[itex]A[/itex] is a function of [itex]r_i[/itex] and [itex]t[/itex], so the chain rule tells you

[tex]\dot{A}=\frac{dA}{dt}=\partial_t A+\frac{dr_i}{dt}\frac{\partial A}{\partial r_i}[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to The vector potential and the Hamiltonian?

1. What is the vector potential?

The vector potential is a mathematical concept used in classical and quantum mechanics. It is a vector field that describes the direction and magnitude of a magnetic field in a given space.

2. What is the relationship between the vector potential and the Hamiltonian?

The vector potential is related to the Hamiltonian through the gauge invariance property. This means that the physical properties of a system are independent of the specific form of the vector potential used to describe it.

3. Why is the vector potential important in quantum mechanics?

The vector potential plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it appears in the Schrödinger equation and is used to describe the behavior of particles in the presence of a magnetic field. It is also used to calculate important quantities such as the magnetic moment and the energy levels of a system.

4. How is the vector potential calculated?

The vector potential can be calculated using Maxwell's equations and boundary conditions. In most cases, it is derived from the magnetic field, which is usually easier to measure or calculate.

5. What are some applications of the vector potential and the Hamiltonian?

The vector potential and the Hamiltonian have numerous applications in physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and condensed matter physics. They are used to study the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, to understand the properties of superconductors, and to analyze the dynamics of charged particles in accelerators, among others.