The superposition theorem with dependent sources

In summary, the current through the resistor is 1.25A and the voltage at the centre node is 20¼ volts.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Use the superposition principle to determine the value of Ix.

Homework Equations

I1+I2+I3=0 KCL
V1+V2+V3=0 KVL
Ix'+Ix''= answer

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand how to get Ix' its just standard KVL it is -10+2Ix'+Ix'+2Ix'=0 which solving for Ix' gives 2A. This is the part I don't get so using nodal analysis (V''/2)+((V''-2Ix'')/1)=3 which when I simplify I get 6=3V''-4Ix''. So staying on this part why V''/2 is it this because that gives the current that goes across the 2 ohm resistor and V'' is the voltage on the wire? Also the second part ((V''-2Ix'')/1) is it this because your getting the current going from left to right over the 1 ohm resistor and thus by using the potential over 1 ohm which gives the current flowing from the left side of the resistor to the right. You would subtract off the dependent source part because it flows against the other current, so you get the current that was being solved for which is from left to right? essentially you are doing this I1=I2+I3 where I1=3A. So am I right there? On the next part I am confused Vx''+2Ix''=0 which when solved gives Vx''=-2Ix'' is this because the 3A source is in parallel with the dependent source and so the voltage is the same across both and thus V''=-2Ix''. Or is it because of KVl and so starting from the far left of the circuit I get 2Ix''+Vx''=0. I guess what I am asking is am I doing so form of KVL here or is it just simply relating the dependent source quantity. Anyways when this is all done I get the answer which is 2A.

Attachments

• physicsforums.jpg
    physicsforums.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I meant 1.4 not 2A on the last part

Sorry if it is really confusing

Oh also is my picture readable I am sorry if it is too small let me know

I can re upload or clarify anything just let me know please

Ok thanks on his problem I get Ix''=-1.75 A is that correct

So 3-1.75=1.25

Where v''=-3Ix'' but why is this is it because of KVL equations giving me 3Ix''+v''=0 or is it just simply a relation

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok thanks on his problem I get Ix''=-1.75 A is that correct
Once you have worked out a value for the current, use Kirchoff's Laws to confirm that that value satisfies ∑ currents into a node = 0. If it does, it must be right. Or check your current together with the knowledge that the voltage at the centre node is 20¼ volts.

Related to The superposition theorem with dependent sources

1. What is the superposition theorem with dependent sources?

The superposition theorem with dependent sources is a technique used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits with multiple dependent sources. It states that the total response in a circuit is equal to the sum of the individual responses caused by each independent source acting alone, while all other independent sources are turned off.

2. How is the superposition theorem with dependent sources different from the superposition theorem with independent sources?

The superposition theorem with dependent sources is different from the superposition theorem with independent sources because in the former, the sources are not completely independent from each other. The output of one source is affected by the input of another source, making it more challenging to analyze and solve the circuit.

3. What are some applications of the superposition theorem with dependent sources?

The superposition theorem with dependent sources is commonly used in circuit analysis and design, particularly in electronic devices such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators. It is also used in the analysis of power systems and control systems.

4. What are the limitations of the superposition theorem with dependent sources?

One limitation of the superposition theorem with dependent sources is that it can only be applied to linear circuits. It also assumes that the dependent sources are linear, which may not always be the case in practical circuits. Additionally, this theorem can be time-consuming to apply in complex circuits and may not always provide the most accurate results.

5. Can the superposition theorem with dependent sources be applied to circuits with time-varying sources?

Yes, the superposition theorem with dependent sources can be applied to circuits with time-varying sources, as long as the sources are linear and the circuit remains in a steady state. However, it may be more challenging to analyze and solve these types of circuits due to the added complexity of time-varying sources.