The spiral obtained when tape wound on a spool.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving layers of tape wrapped around a spool and the variation of the spool's angular speed over time in order to obtain the tape at a constant rate. The question of what type of curve the tape forms is raised, with suggestions of it being an arithmetic spiral, archimedes spiral, or involute circle. The concept of a discrete function is also mentioned, as well as the equation for the spool's linear velocity. Finally, a possible solution is proposed where the angular speed is equal to the constant linear velocity divided by the square root of the sum of the initial radius squared and a constant value related to the tape's thickness and rate of rotation.
suhasm
I was just thinking about a problem for fun where
n layers of tape of thickness t are wound on a spool of inner radius r
and one needs to find the the variation of angular speed of spool as a function of time such that tape is obtained at a constant time rate v.

But , my question is , what kind of a curve is the spiral?
To , me , at the first glance , it look like a discrete function.
Then some googling tells me it could be an archimedes spiral.
Few more suggest an involute circle.

Also , can anyone explain to me why its not a discrete function? I have trouble visualizing this.

Some inputs would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the tape has constant thickness it's an arithmetic spiral.
If the spool rotates at w = w(t), radius r(t) satisfies dr/dt = k.w(t), linear velocity v(t) = r(t).w(t). (k = tape thickness/2pi)
Setting v(t) = V, constant, we have k.w(t) = d(V/w)/dt = -(V/w^2).dw/dt.
k.dt = -V.dw/w^3
2k.t = V/w^2 - R.R/V, where R is radius at time 0.
w = V/sqrt(R.R + 2.k.V.t)

Looks reasonable.

Related to The spiral obtained when tape wound on a spool.

1. What causes the spiral shape when tape is wound onto a spool?

The spiral shape is caused by the tension and friction between the tape and the spool. As the tape is wound onto the spool, it is pulled tightly and the friction between the tape layers causes it to form a spiral shape.

2. Why does the spiral get tighter as more tape is wound onto the spool?

The spiral gets tighter because the circumference of the spool decreases as more tape is wound onto it. This means that the same length of tape is being wound onto a smaller surface area, resulting in a tighter spiral.

3. Is there a limit to how many times you can wind tape onto a spool in a spiral shape?

There is no specific limit to how many times you can wind tape onto a spool in a spiral shape. However, as the spool gets smaller and the spiral gets tighter, it may become more difficult to wind the tape neatly and it may be more prone to tangling.

4. Can the direction of the spiral be changed when winding tape onto a spool?

Yes, the direction of the spiral can be changed by changing the direction in which the tape is wound onto the spool. This can be done manually or by using a different winding mechanism on the spool.

5. Does the material of the spool affect the shape of the spiral?

Yes, the material of the spool can affect the shape of the spiral. Materials with higher friction, such as plastic or rubber, may result in a tighter spiral compared to materials with lower friction, such as metal. The size and shape of the spool can also impact the resulting spiral shape.