The speed at which a proton strikes the positive plate (uniform electric field).

In summary, the problem involves determining the work done on a proton by using the equation F=qE and solving for the force. With the given distance of 7 cm, the work can be calculated. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the guidance and successfully solving the problem.
_Chemicals_

Homework Statement

Here is the problem given. The answer is E.
ETqvD.png

Homework Equations

No equations are given. Assumed use of standard equations for electric field and force involving electric field.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a few equations (E = F/q0), (F = mv^2), (E=(1/(4piEp0))(q/r^2)), and solving, but no luck. Could someone please give me guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
_Chemicals_ said:

Homework Statement

Here is the problem given. The answer is E.
ETqvD.png

Homework Equations

No equations are given. Assumed use of standard equations for electric field and force involving electric field.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a few equations (E = F/q0), (F = mv^2), (E=(1/(4piEp0))(q/r^2)), and solving, but no luck. Could someone please give me guidance?

If you can determine the force F acting on the charge, and this force acts on the proton over a distance of 7 cm, how much work is done?

Alright so I just remembered the simple equation F = qE so now I'm going to attempt what you said. Physics is not my strength however, so I will probably be back.

_Chemicals_ said:
Alright so I just remembered the simple equation F = qE so now I'm going to attempt what you said. Physics is not my strength however, so I will probably be back.

No worries, we'll be here!

Thank you for your tip. I was able to solve it!

Excellent.

Related to The speed at which a proton strikes the positive plate (uniform electric field).

1. How does the speed of a proton affect its trajectory in a uniform electric field?

The speed of a proton will determine how much it will be deflected in a uniform electric field. The faster the speed, the larger the deflection will be.

2. What factors affect the speed of a proton in a uniform electric field?

The speed of a proton in a uniform electric field is affected by the strength of the electric field, the mass of the proton, and any external forces acting on the proton.

3. Can a proton's speed change while it is in a uniform electric field?

Yes, a proton's speed can change while it is in a uniform electric field. This can occur if the proton is acted upon by external forces or if the strength of the electric field changes.

4. How is the speed of a proton calculated in a uniform electric field?

The speed of a proton in a uniform electric field can be calculated using the equation v = E*d*t/m, where v is the speed, E is the strength of the electric field, d is the distance traveled, t is the time, and m is the mass of the proton.

5. What is the relationship between the speed of a proton and its kinetic energy in a uniform electric field?

The kinetic energy of a proton in a uniform electric field is directly proportional to its speed. As the speed of the proton increases, so does its kinetic energy.