The Skolem paradox destroys the incompleteness of ZFC

In summary, Colin Leslie Dean argues that the Skolem paradox destroys the incompleteness of ZFC, and that this shows that ZFC is not consistent. This therefore all proofs that ZFC is incomplete are undermined.
gamel
The Australian philosopher colin leslie dean argues that
The Skolem paradox destroys the incompleteness of ZFC

Crackpot link removed

The Skolem pardox shows ZFC is inconsistent
Undecidability of ZFC is based on the assumption that it is consistent
therefore
the presence of the Skolem paradox shows ZFC is not consistent
so all those proofs that show the incompleteness of ZFC are destroyed
undermined and complete rubbish

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
from colin leslie dean

Crackpot link removed

The paradox is seen in Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory. One of the earliest results, published by Georg Cantor in 1874, was the existence of uncountable sets, such as the powerset of the natural numbers, the set of real numbers, and the well-known Cantor set. These sets exist in any Zermelo-Fraenkel universe, since their existence follows from the axioms. Using the Löwenheim-Skolem Theorem, we can get a model of set theory which only contains a countable number of objects. However, it must contain the aforementioned uncountable sets, which appears to be a contradiction

"At present we can do no more than note that we have one more reason here to entertain reservations about set theory and that for the time being no way of rehabilitating this theory is known." – (John von Neumann)

"Skolem's work implies 'no categorical axiomatisation of set theory (hence geometry, arithmetic [and any other theory with a set-theoretic model]...) seems to exist at all'." – (John von Neumann)

"Neither have the books yet been closed on the antinomy, nor has agreement on its significance and possible solution yet been reached." – (Abraham Fraenkel)

"I believed that it was so clear that axiomatization in terms of sets was not a satisfactory ultimate foundation of mathematics that mathematicians would, for the most part, not be very much concerned with it. But in recent times I have seen to my surprise that so many mathematicians think that these axioms of set theory provide the ideal foundation for mathematics; therefore it seemed to me that the time had come for a critique." – (Skolem)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Australian "philosopher" colin leslie dean seems to have been extremely drunk when he wrote this paper.

I suspect that anyone who publishes through something called the "gamahucher press" spends a fair amount of time drunk.

I also suspect, though not as surely, that "gamel" is "The Australian philosopher colin leslie dean" and runs that press.

WHAT DOES gamahucher MEAN i wonder

CLD is a crackpot, and you were banned once already for this.

Related to The Skolem paradox destroys the incompleteness of ZFC

1. What is the Skolem paradox?

The Skolem paradox is a mathematical concept that challenges the completeness of Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory (ZFC). It was first proposed by Norwegian mathematician Thoralf Skolem in 1933.

2. How does the Skolem paradox relate to the incompleteness of ZFC?

The Skolem paradox states that, within the framework of ZFC, there are models that satisfy all the axioms of ZFC but also contain non-standard natural numbers. This brings into question the completeness of ZFC, as it suggests that there may be true statements about natural numbers that cannot be proven within the theory.

3. Can the Skolem paradox be resolved?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Some mathematicians argue that the Skolem paradox is not a true paradox and can be resolved by reinterpreting the concept of "standard" and "non-standard" natural numbers. Others believe that the paradox highlights an inherent limitation of ZFC and that a more comprehensive theory is needed to address it.

4. What are the implications of the Skolem paradox for mathematics?

The Skolem paradox challenges the foundational assumptions of mathematics and raises questions about the completeness and consistency of ZFC. It also has implications for the philosophy of mathematics, as it calls into question the idea that mathematical truth can be fully captured by a formal axiomatic system.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to the Skolem paradox?

Several solutions have been proposed to address the Skolem paradox, including the introduction of new axioms to ZFC or the development of alternative set theories. However, none of these solutions have been universally accepted, and the Skolem paradox remains an open problem in mathematics.