The restriction of differential form

In summary, the conversation is about the restriction of a differential form M=xdy-ydx+dz to the plane z=2. It is determined that the values of the form on tangent vectors to z=2 are the same. The conversation also discusses the form of tangent vectors on the plane and the fact that z is constant along z=2.
  1. Assume M=xdy -ydx+dz ∈ Ω1(R^3). What's the restriction of M to the plane {z=2}? I think it's xdy-ydx. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
1591238460 said:
  1. Assume M=xdy -ydx+dz ∈ Ω1(R^3). What's the restriction of M to the plane {z=2}? I think it's xdy-ydx. Is that right?
Do the two forms have the same values on tangent vectors to z = 2?

Thank you, so what should I do?

1591238460 said:
Thank you, so what should I do?
Just check the values.

I think the tangent vectors of the plane z=2 are in the form of a$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$+b$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}$, to a$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$+b$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}$, both of the two forms of the value, am I right?

1591238460 said:
I think the tangent vectors of the plane z=2 are in the form of a$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$+b$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}$, to a$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$+b$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}$, both of the two forms of the value, am I right?
Use ## ##'s at the beginning and end if you want to do Latex editing here.

1591238460 said:
I think the tangent vectors of the plane z=2 are in the form of a##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+b\frac{\partial}{\partial y}##, to a ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+b\frac{\partial}{\partial y} ##, both of the two forms of the value, am I right?

Notice that, as a plane ##z=2## is 2-dimensional. Equivalently, points in the plane are of the form ##(x,y,2) ##

Last edited:
@WWGD , thank you very much, so I think I am right, doesn't it?

what about just saying z is constant along z=2 so dz is zero on vectors tangent to z=2? is that what you were thinking?

@mathwonk yes, and in the embedded submanifold {z=2} the the tangent vectors are just in the form a∂∂x+b∂∂y, so the two values of two forms are the same.

Related to The restriction of differential form

What is the restriction of differential form?

The restriction of differential form is a mathematical concept that involves taking a differential form defined on a larger space and restricting it to a smaller subset of that space. It essentially involves narrowing the scope of the differential form to a specific region or domain.

Why is the restriction of differential form important?

The restriction of differential form is important because it allows us to study the behavior of a differential form in a more specific and manageable setting. It also enables us to apply differential forms to various physical systems and problems, making it a powerful tool in mathematical modeling and analysis.

What is the difference between a differential form and its restriction?

A differential form is a mathematical object defined on a larger space, while its restriction is a version of that form that is only defined on a smaller subset of the space. The restriction may have different properties or behaviors compared to the original form, as it is limited to a specific region or domain.

How is the restriction of differential form related to integration?

The restriction of differential form is closely related to integration, as it allows us to integrate a form over a specific region or domain rather than the entire space. This is useful in solving problems that involve calculating the total effect or influence of a differential form on a specific area.

Can the restriction of differential form be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the restriction of differential form can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the concept of restriction is not limited to differential forms but can also be applied to other mathematical objects, such as functions and vector fields, in higher dimensions.