The relation between two terminology cusp (group & algebraic curve)

In summary, the term "cusp" appears in two different fields: as a point on a complex algebraic curve and as a point on a discrete group of SL(2,R) in the context of modular forms. Both cases involve adding in points at infinity to make a quotient compact, with the cusps in the algebraic curve corresponding to isolated points and the cusps in the group acting as singularities similar to those defined by equations. It is unclear if there is a natural way to make the quotient compact by adding in these points as actual cusps in the sense of algebraic geometry.
Fangyang Tian
The relation between two terminology "cusp" (group & algebraic curve)

Dear Folks:
I come across the word "cusp" in two different fields and I think they are related. Could anyone specify their relationship for me?? Many thanks!
the cusp of an algebraic curve: for example: (0,0) is the cusp of the complex algebraic curve y2=x3;
the cusp point of a discrete group of SL(2,R) , where SL(2,R) acts on the upper half plane by linear fractional transformation. This terminology usually appears when we talk about modular forms.

Physics news on Phys.org

I do not know the answer but I will guess. One passes from a discrete group acting on the upper half plane, to a Riemann surface, by making a quotient of the half plane by the group action. This quotient however is not compact, and to render it compact one must add in some points at infinity which seem to be called cusps. Thus in some sense, the cusps coming from the theory of modular forms do correspond to isolated points on a Riemann surface or algebraic curve. What I do not know is whether there is also some natural way to render that quotient compact by adding in those points as if they were actually cusps in the sense of algebraic geometry, i.e. singularities resembling ones defined by equations like y^n = x^m.

Related to The relation between two terminology cusp (group & algebraic curve)

1. What is a cusp in mathematics?

A cusp is a point on a curve where the slope of the curve changes abruptly, resulting in a sharp corner or point. It can also refer to a singularity where a curve crosses over itself.

2. How are cusps related to groups and algebraic curves?

Cusps are a common feature in both group theory and algebraic geometry. In group theory, cusps can arise in the study of modular forms and the action of groups on the upper half-plane. In algebraic geometry, the presence of a cusp can have significant implications for the behavior of algebraic curves.

3. Can a group and an algebraic curve have multiple cusps?

Yes, both groups and algebraic curves can have multiple cusps. In fact, there are many interesting examples where the number and arrangement of cusps play a crucial role in the properties of the object being studied.

4. Are there any applications of studying the relation between groups and algebraic curves with cusps?

Absolutely. The connection between groups and algebraic curves with cusps has been used in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as in the study of modular forms, elliptic curves, and string theory.

5. How can studying cusps help us understand the structure of groups and algebraic curves?

Studying cusps can provide insights into the behavior and symmetries of groups and algebraic curves. By understanding the properties of cusps, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying structures and relationships between these mathematical objects.