The ratio of strength between electro magnetic and gravitational force

In summary, Stenger's book discusses the ratio between gravity and the electromagnetic force, which is not a universal number and can vary depending on the charges and masses of the particles involved. The electron is often used as an example for this ratio, but it is not necessarily the most fundamental particle. The Planck mass, which is formed from fundamental constants, is much stronger in terms of gravitational force compared to the electric force. However, it is not yet known if this value corresponds to any real physics. The ratio between the two forces can vary for different particles, but this does not mean that such fundamental particles exist.
bobsmith76
In stenger's book he claims that the ratio between gravity and the electro magnetic is not 1039

Let me know if you think he's right

Note that N1 (ratio of EM force to gravity) is not a universal number; it depends on the charges and masses of the bodies you use in the calculation. For an electron and proton the ratio is the famous 1039 that I will continue to call N1. But why assume these two particles in defining N1? The proton is not even fundamental. It is made of quarks. For two electrons, the ratio is 1047. If we have two unit-charged particles of equal mass 1.85 x 10-9 kilograms, N1 = 1 and the two forces would be equal!
If we were to ask what mass is the most fundamental, it would be the Planck mass, which is formed from the fundamental constants and equals 2.18 x 10-8 kg. The gravitational force between two particles, each with the Planck mass and unit electric charge, is 137 times stronger than the electric force!

Physics news on Phys.org
Defining the ratio for the electron is only one possible choice, as you have understood. I do think that when this ratio is discussed, it is in the context of forces acting on fundamental particles, and the electron is simply taken as an example. Of course, the statement that the electric force is 10^39 stronger than the gravity can easily be misunderstood. That said, for any electrically charged particle in the standard model particle table, the electric force is significantly stronger than gravity. I think this is the main point, not that it is exactly 10^39. I think that the electron is just the most popular example to illustrate the large difference between electric and gravitational forces on fundamental particles.

Btw, I would not say that the Planck mass is the "most fundamental" mass, since it is not (yet) related to current real-world physics, even though it is a value that can be formed from fundamental physical constants. The Planck mass it so far above the highest experimentally probed energies. Nobody knows what will be discovered between LHC and Planck energies. I.e. nobody knows of the Planck is related to any real physics because of this.

Since the mass is the "gravitational coupling constant" and electrical charge is the "electric coupling constant", it is possible to imagine a particle for which this ratio is any arbitrary value. But this doesn't mean that such a fundamental particle exists.

Related to The ratio of strength between electro magnetic and gravitational force

1. How do the strengths of electromagnetic and gravitational forces compare?

The electromagnetic force is significantly stronger than the gravitational force. In fact, it is about 10^36 times stronger than the gravitational force.

2. Why is the electromagnetic force stronger than the gravitational force?

The strength of a force is determined by the properties of the particles that interact with each other through that force. The particles that interact through the electromagnetic force, such as electrons and protons, carry electric charge, which makes the force much stronger than the gravitational force between particles that only have mass.

3. Can the ratio of strength between these forces change?

The ratio of strength between the electromagnetic and gravitational forces is a fundamental constant of nature and is not expected to change. However, in extreme conditions such as those found in the early universe or near black holes, the strength of these forces may appear to be different due to the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

4. How does the ratio of these forces affect the behavior of matter?

The difference in strength between the electromagnetic and gravitational forces is what allows matter to form and hold its shape. If the gravitational force were stronger, matter would collapse into smaller and smaller sizes, while if the electromagnetic force were weaker, matter would not be able to hold together at all.

5. Can we measure the ratio of these forces?

Yes, the ratio of the electromagnetic and gravitational forces has been measured and is known as the fine structure constant. This constant is approximately 1/137 and is a key factor in understanding many physical phenomena, including the stability of atoms and the behavior of light.