The radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state

In summary, the radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state is a representation of the probability of finding the electron at a certain distance from the nucleus. It follows a bell-shaped curve, with the highest probability occurring at the most probable radius of 0.529 Å. This probability decreases as the distance from the nucleus increases, with a small but non-zero chance of the electron being found at very large distances. Overall, the radial probability density provides insight into the behavior and distribution of electrons in the hydrogen ground state.
ftr
Physics news on Phys.org
You can probe it e.g. using x-ray scattering.

DrDu said:
You can probe it e.g. using x-ray scattering.

thanks. Do you know any reference please.

Do you know some example? I heard that hydrogens are usually invisible in X-rays of periodic structures (metals, proteins), probably due to the fact that other atoms have much more electrons and re-radiate much stronger radiation which thus overshines the radiation due to hydrogens.

Jano L. said:
Do you know some example? I heard that hydrogens are usually invisible in X-rays of periodic structures (metals, proteins), probably due to the fact that other atoms have much more electrons and re-radiate much stronger radiation which thus overshines the radiation due to hydrogens.

It is quite strange, I asked this question for a particular reason I had, it turns out that the answer involves an experiment done only few days ago!

http://io9.com/the-first-image-ever-of-a-hydrogen-atoms-orbital-struc-509684901

I am also surprised that there are a lot of people who know physics on PF (many seem to be professionals), but they are not aware of these basic issues.

The momentum space distribution of molecular hydrogen has been determined by electron scattering spectroscopy:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja00332a017?journalCode=jacsat

This rather directly gives the Fourier transform of the r-space distribution. It is possible that atomic hydrogen has been studied by the same technique, but I suspect not, due to the difficulty of maintaining a pure flux of atomic hydrogen.

Edit: Correction, it has been done for H as well - ref. on page 1 of the above article!

ftr said:
It is quite strange, I asked this question for a particular reason I had, it turns out that the answer involves an experiment done only few days ago!

This is a popular article and you should not believe everything written in it. First you don't see the orbitals but at best the electronic density. The electronic density can be mapped accurately e.g. with high precision X-ray crystallography (also for compounds containing hydrogen), so it is certainly not the first time "orbitals" have been observed.
I was thinking of X-ray scattering in the gas phase on hydrogen atoms. This is certainly demanding (as gadong pointed out it is difficult to create a flux of atomic hydrogen, but possible) and I don't know whether it has been performed. The experiment cited by gadong is very similar to my idea, only that it uses electron scattering and not x-ray scattering.

DrDu said:
This is a popular article and you should not believe everything written in it. First you don't see the orbitals but at best the electronic density. The electronic density can be mapped accurately e.g. with high precision X-ray crystallography (also for compounds containing hydrogen), so it is certainly not the first time "orbitals" have been observed.
I was thinking of X-ray scattering in the gas phase on hydrogen atoms. This is certainly demanding (as gadong pointed out it is difficult to create a flux of atomic hydrogen, but possible) and I don't know whether it has been performed. The experiment cited by gadong is very similar to my idea, only that it uses electron scattering and not x-ray scattering.

The article is based on this paper

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v110/i21/e213001

I guess they are saying that their measurement is "more" direct.

All that aside, I still cannot find out if these experiments confirm the radial functions in the OP. I guess I will have to dig deeper on my own.

DrDu said:

Excited orbitals?

The transition probabilities for hydrogen are very well known and experimentally verified. The calculation for the transition probabilities are based on the dipole matrix for the orbitals, which depends on the radial wavefunctions.

Related to The radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state

What is the radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state?

The radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state is a measure of the likelihood of finding the electron at a certain distance from the nucleus in the lowest energy level of a hydrogen atom. It is represented by the function Pr(r), where r is the distance from the nucleus.

How is the radial probability density calculated?

The radial probability density is calculated using the wave function of the hydrogen atom, which is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of the electron. The square of the wave function, |Ψ(r)|2, gives the probability of finding the electron at a specific distance r from the nucleus. The radial probability density is then obtained by multiplying this probability by the surface area of a spherical shell with radius r.

What is the maximum value of the radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state?

The maximum value of the radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state occurs at the most probable radius, which is equal to a0, the Bohr radius. At this distance, the electron has a 50% chance of being found. The maximum value of the radial probability density is given by Pr(a0) = (4/a03)e-2.

How does the radial probability density change with increasing distance from the nucleus?

The radial probability density decreases with increasing distance from the nucleus. This is because the electron has a higher probability of being found closer to the nucleus, as it is more strongly attracted to the positive charge of the nucleus. As the distance increases, the probability of finding the electron decreases exponentially.

What is the physical significance of the radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state?

The radial probability density for the hydrogen ground state has important physical significance in understanding the electronic structure of atoms. It gives us information about the distribution of the electron around the nucleus, which is crucial in determining the size and shape of atoms. It also provides insights into the energy levels and chemical properties of elements.