The question about diagonalization

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a 2x2 matrix A to a vector v a large number of times. The matrix A defines a rotation combined with a scaling effect and its properties are further explored through the concept of diagonalization. The conversation also touches on finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A and the role they play in determining its diagonalizability.
ftym2011
I have the confusion that the one question is shown below:
Consider the following matrix:
A= [1 -1;1 1] which is 2x2 matrix, the column of that is [1 1] and [-1 1] respectively.

What happens when we apply A to vector v a large number of times?

Hoping someone can help me solve this question, thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
ftym2011 said:
I have the confusion that the one question is shown below:
Consider the following matrix:
A= [1 -1;1 1] which is 2x2 matrix, the column of that is [1 1] and [-1 1] respectively.

What happens when we apply A to vector v a large number of times?

Hoping someone can help me solve this question, thanks a lot!

What you need to know is that A defines a rotation combined with a scaling effect.
Do you know the angle and the scale?
What happens if you do this n times?

Last edited:
I like "I like Serena"'s answer, and I would further suggest seeing what A does to
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
the basis vectors, and imagining that occurring repeatedly.

However, ftym2011 titled this thread "The question about diagonalization" which makes me think a more general method is intended.

If the matrix, A, is "diagonalizable" then there exist an invertible matrix, P, and a diagonal matrix, D, such that [itex]A= PDP^{-1}[/itex]. Then [itex]A^2= (PDP^{-1})(PDP^{-1}= PD^2P^{-1}[/itex] because the "[itex]P^{-1}[/itex]" and "[itex]P[/itex]" in the middle cancel. And, then [itex]A^3= A(A^2)= (PDP^{-1})(PD^2P^{-1})= PD^3P^{-1}[/itex]. In general, [itex]A^n= PD^nP^{-1}[/itex] and it is easy to find the nth power of a diagonal matrix- it is the diagonal matrix with the nth powers on its main diagonal.

An n by n matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has n independent eigenvectors. Specifically, D is the diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues of A on its diagonal and P is the matrix whose columns are the corresponding eigenvectors.

So let's put the question back to ftym2011: Can you find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]?

However, having said that, I note that, since A is anti-symmetric, its eigenvalues and eigenvectors are complex so, again, I think I like Serena's suggestion is best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The question about diagonalization

What is diagonalization?

Diagonalization is a mathematical process used to transform a matrix into a diagonal matrix, in which all the off-diagonal elements are zero. This is useful in solving various problems in linear algebra and other fields of mathematics.

Why is diagonalization important?

Diagonalization is important because it simplifies computations involving matrices and makes it easier to analyze and solve linear systems of equations. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

How is diagonalization achieved?

Diagonalization is achieved by finding a set of eigenvectors and eigenvalues for a given matrix. The eigenvectors form the columns of the transformation matrix, while the eigenvalues form the diagonal elements of the resulting diagonal matrix.

What are the benefits of diagonalization?

The main benefit of diagonalization is that it simplifies calculations involving matrices, making it easier to solve problems and analyze systems. It also helps in finding solutions to differential equations, optimization problems, and other complex mathematical models.

What are the limitations of diagonalization?

Diagonalization is not always possible, as not all matrices can be diagonalized. In addition, the process can be computationally intensive for large matrices, and it may not always provide the most efficient solution to a problem. In some cases, other methods may be more suitable for solving a particular problem.