The Probability of Ruin Matrix - How to calculate?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a table called "The Probability of Ruin Matrix" which was found in a trading and finance book. The table shows the probability of ruin for different profit/loss ratios and winning percentages. The author does not mention the source of the table and the person asking the question is trying to understand how to calculate the formula for the table. They are also creating an excel sheet to determine the probability of ruin in relation to different factors such as account size, P/R ratio, and W/R ratio.
Trader
Hello guys,

In one of the books I`m studying related to trading and finance, I have come across a table called; The probability of Ruin Matrix.

The author does not mention where he got it from. He might have made it himself, but I`m guessing he got it somewhere else. Here it is:

Profit/Loss Ratio - P/R
Winning Percentage - % Win

Please see the table below:

Code:
             % winner
P/R     30%     40%     50%    60%   
4:1       14       5            1        0

* Ruin is defined as a 50% drawdown from starting equity

What this table tells us is that if we for example have 40% winners with a 2:1 P/R ratio, the probability of ruin is 14%.

I guess this translates to a probability of 14% that we will experience 60 losers in a row.

What I want to ask you guys is if you have any clue how to calculate this formula/table?

I am making an excel sheet where I want to find the probability of ruin and its relation to account size, different P/R ratio, different W/R ratio, etc.

That`s why I need the formula.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Trader

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought you were the smart guys?:)

Related to The Probability of Ruin Matrix - How to calculate?

1. What is the Probability of Ruin Matrix?

The Probability of Ruin Matrix is a mathematical tool used to calculate the probability of losing all of your assets in a given investment or gambling scenario. It takes into account factors such as the initial investment amount, potential returns, and risk of the investment or game.

2. How is the Probability of Ruin Matrix calculated?

The Probability of Ruin Matrix is calculated by using a formula that takes into account the initial investment amount, potential returns, and risk of the investment or game. This formula produces a matrix of probabilities that show the likelihood of losing all of your assets at different levels of risk.

3. What factors are considered in the Probability of Ruin Matrix?

The Probability of Ruin Matrix takes into account the initial investment amount, potential returns, and risk of the investment or game. It also considers the number of rounds or trials in the scenario and the probability of winning or losing in each round.

4. How is the Probability of Ruin Matrix useful?

The Probability of Ruin Matrix is useful for investors and gamblers as it helps them make informed decisions about their investments or games. By calculating the probability of losing all of their assets, they can determine the level of risk they are comfortable with and make more strategic choices.

5. Are there any limitations to the Probability of Ruin Matrix?

Yes, there are limitations to the Probability of Ruin Matrix. It assumes that the probabilities of winning and losing remain the same throughout the investment or game, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account external factors such as market conditions or unexpected events that may impact the outcome.