The particle INSIDE the barrier

In summary: However, the solution inside the barrier is not... it is exponentially decreasing.This is because the barrier is a potential barrier, and the energy of the particle is trying to push it through the barrier. The more energy the particle has, the more it will push the barrier outward. The exponentially decreasing behavior is due to the fact that the barrier is getting larger and larger as the particle pushes on it, and eventually the particle will reach a point where it cannot push any more and the barrier will return to its original position.Is it a particle? If so, why? Does it have single particle properties?There is no single answer to this question, as it is related to the specific situation and situation-specific factors. Some things that
iLIKEstuff
So I know this topic of tunneling has been discussed hundreds of times on this forum, but I simply cannot find nor deduce an answer to a burning question I have about what happens exactly INSIDE the barrier and how to describe it (preferably in layman's terms.)

The problem is basic: A particle with energy E that is impinging on a finite barrier with height V where E < V.

There are valid solutions to the wave function which describes the particle before it hits the barrier, inside the barrier, and after the barrier. Now, the solutions before and after the barrier are "wave-like" i.e. they are oscillating sinusoidal functions. However, the solution inside the barrier is not... it is exponentially decreasing.

So my multi-part question:

What is this "thing" inside the barrier?

Is it a particle? If so, why? Does it have single particle properties?

Is it a wave? If so, why? Also, why doesn't the solution show oscillating behavior? Isn't QM supposed to describe the simultaneous wave- and particle-like behavior?Any response is appreciated. Thanks for your input guys.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
iLIKEstuff said:
So I know this topic of tunneling has been discussed hundreds of times on this forum, but I simply cannot find nor deduce an answer to a burning question I have about what happens exactly INSIDE the barrier and how to describe it (preferably in layman's terms.)

The problem is basic: A particle with energy E that is impinging on a finite barrier with height V where E < V.

There are valid solutions to the wave function which describes the particle before it hits the barrier, inside the barrier, and after the barrier. Now, the solutions before and after the barrier are "wave-like" i.e. they are oscillating sinusoidal functions. However, the solution inside the barrier is not... it is exponentially decreasing.

So my multi-part question:

Is it a wave? If so, why? Also, why doesn't the solution show oscillating behavior? Isn't QM supposed to describe the simultaneous wave- and particle-like behavior?Any response is appreciated. Thanks for your input guys.

The wave function is used to determine the probability that the particle will be in a particular location*: (I'm just showing this equation to point out that the wave function itself is not the probability. It has to be operated on, along with it's conjugate. The operator that you use is based on what you want to know about it. In this case, we want to know the 'expected' position of the particle, denoted by <x>)

5fecd34dfc8e8cbc780ee22597e5e760.png

So when you see the exponential curve in the potential barrier, or the wave-shape where the potential is zero, it's not the shape of the particle itself. It's related to the probability that it will be in a particular location, x, in that region.

*note: position determination isn't the only use of the wavefunciton. You can use a different operator to measure a different observable (such as the momentum or the kinetic energy of the particle).

iLIKEstuff said:
There are valid solutions to the wave function which describes the particle before it hits the barrier, inside the barrier, and after the barrier.
Actually, this is a little incorrect. There is a single valid solution, and that solution is non-zero on one side of the barrier, inside the barrier, and on the other side of the barrier. The part inside the barrier is not a separate solution, nor are the parts on either side.
iLIKEstuff said:

Is it a wave? If so, why? Also, why doesn't the solution show oscillating behavior? Isn't QM supposed to describe the simultaneous wave- and particle-like behavior?
The entire wavefunction is the state of the particle, and represents everything that can be measured about the particle. When the wavefunction is displayed as a function of space (in the position basis) then its value at some point is related to the probability of measuring it to be at that point. The fact that some parts of the wavefunction are inside the barrier represents the fact that there is a finite probability of measuring it to be within the barrier.

Related to The particle INSIDE the barrier

1. What is the particle inside the barrier?

The particle inside the barrier refers to a quantum particle that is confined within a potential energy barrier. This means that the particle is unable to move freely and its behavior is governed by the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the particle behave inside the barrier?

The behavior of the particle inside the barrier is described by wave-like properties, meaning that it can exist in multiple locations simultaneously. This is known as the particle's wave function, and it determines the probability of finding the particle at a particular position inside the barrier.

3. What factors affect the behavior of the particle inside the barrier?

The behavior of the particle inside the barrier is influenced by the height and width of the barrier, as well as the energy and mass of the particle. Additionally, the shape of the barrier and the presence of other particles in the vicinity can also impact the particle's behavior.

4. Can the particle tunnel through the barrier?

Yes, it is possible for the particle to tunnel through the barrier due to the phenomenon of quantum tunneling. This occurs when the particle's wave function extends beyond the barrier, allowing it to exist on the other side with a certain probability.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying particles inside barriers?

Understanding the behavior of particles inside barriers is crucial in various fields, such as quantum computing, solid-state physics, and nuclear physics. It also has practical applications in technological advancements such as scanning tunneling microscopy and tunnel diodes.