The parameter λ in linear integral equations

In summary, the parameter $\lambda$ in linear integral equations can be adjusted for the convergence of the method.
sarrah1
Hi

the parameter $\lambda$ in linear integral equations say Fredholm that appears in front of the integral containing the kernel i.e.

$y(x)=f(x)+ \lambda \int_{a}^{b} \,k(x,t) y(t) dt $

can $\lambda$ be adjusted for the convergence of the method like in using Picard's successive approximations like imposing the condition $|\lambda|< 1/||K||$, where $K$ is the operator for $k(x,t)$ or is it fixed and thus can be united with the kernel, in which case one seeks the condition on the kernel itself, either satisfying the criteria of convergence i.e. whether it applies or not

thanks
I assume this time it's a very simple question
Sarrah

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sarrah,

sarrah said:
I assume this time it's a very simple question
Sarrah

Your posts usually have problems that are ill-posed. If you present a PDE or an integral equation, it is necessary to indicate the (Banach) space under consideration and all other data that goes with it.

Here is an example of how you can post a well posed problem:

Consider the nonlinear Schrödinger integral equation

$$u(x,t) = e^{it\Delta}u_0 + i\lambda \int_0^t e^{i(t-t')\Delta}\lvert u\rvert^{p-1}(x,t') u(x,t')\, dt'$$

For $(x,t)\in \Bbb R^{n+1}$, $\lambda \neq 0$ and $p > 1$. If $u_0\in L^2(\Bbb R^n)$, for what values of $p$ and $q$ will the above equation have a unique solution in $C_t[-T,T]L^2_x(\Bbb R^n) \cap L_t^qL_x^{p+1}$ for some time $T > 0$? Explicitly, what would be an appropriate bound on $\lambda$ to ensure such a solution?
Now to answer your question -- you can do Picard iteration formally, but to speak of convergence, it is necessary to indicate the normed spaces which $y$ and $k$ belong to.

Euge said:
Hi sarrah,
Your posts usually have problems that are ill-posed. If you present a PDE or an integral equation, it is necessary to indicate the (Banach) space under consideration and all other data that goes with it.

Here is an example of how you can post a well posed problem:Now to answer your question -- you can do Picard iteration formally, but to speak of convergence, it is necessary to indicate the normed spaces which $y$ and $k$ belong to.

thank you very much Euge
Sarrah

Related to The parameter λ in linear integral equations

1. What is the parameter λ in linear integral equations?

The parameter λ in linear integral equations is a constant that is used to control the behavior of the solution. It is often referred to as the "regularization parameter" because it helps to prevent the solution from becoming too complex or oscillatory.

2. How is the parameter λ chosen in linear integral equations?

The parameter λ is typically chosen through a process called "regularization" where a balance is struck between the accuracy of the solution and the complexity of the solution. This is often done through trial and error or by using mathematical techniques such as cross-validation.

3. What happens if the parameter λ is too small in linear integral equations?

If the parameter λ is too small, the solution may become too complex and may not accurately represent the problem being solved. This is known as "overfitting" and can lead to poor results.

4. What happens if the parameter λ is too large in linear integral equations?

If the parameter λ is too large, the solution may become too smooth and may not accurately capture important details in the problem. This is known as "underfitting" and can also lead to poor results.

5. Can the parameter λ be adjusted during the solution process in linear integral equations?

Yes, the parameter λ can be adjusted during the solution process to find the optimal value. This is often done by using an iterative approach where the solution is updated using different values of λ until the desired balance between accuracy and complexity is achieved.