The origins of European Megaliths

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary: Interesting article about how these monoliths might predate agriculture. This is something that I had not heard before.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A study by Bettina Schulz Paulsson, a prehistoric archaeologist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden claims that the megalith building culture (which built about 35,000 structures) originated in NW France (Brittany) and spread along the coasts (to areas of France, Spain, Portugal and the Mediterranian) and across seas (to Britan, Ireland and Scandinavia), indicating maritime abilities.
This is based upon 2,410 radiocarbon dates of megaliths and their surroundings.

These structures were thought to have started with building earthen gracve strutures around 5,000 BC, folowed by the first stone megaliths around 4,800 to 4,000 BC (both in France).
These designs were subsequently elaborated upon as their construction spread along maritime routes.

Alternative theories were:
  • a mid-east origin
  • independent origins in different areas
Interesting scientist (Dr. Schulz Paulsson) quotes:
“Everyone told me, ‘You’re crazy, it can’t be done,’” says Schulz Paulsson, a prehistoric archaeologist at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden and the study’s sole author. “But I decided to do it anyway.”

Over the past decade, she said, she had dragged her family with her on research trips.

Of course, she acknowledged, much of that travel was along the Atlantic coast of France and to the various Mediterranean coastal sites.

“It’s not the worst,” she said.

PNAS article
Two popular articles (with nice pictures) about this:
NY Times
Science magazine news article

Science news on Phys.org
It is well known that very sophisticated megalithic stone formations have been found in the Near East that far pre-dates any of this. Göbekli Tepe dates from 11,000-12,000 BC. Has she just excluded all of this just to look at smaller, later, cruder, European structures?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/01/150120-gobekli-tepe-oldest-monument-turkey-archaeology/

Likes Klystron and phinds
Evo said:
It is well known that very sophisticated megalithic stone formations have been found in the Near East that far pre-dates any of this. Göbekli Tepe dates from 11,000-12,000 BC. Has she just excluded all of this just to look at smaller, later, cruder, European structures?

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/01/150120-gobekli-tepe-oldest-monument-turkey-archaeology/
Very cool Evo. I was not aware of this. Thanks for posting.

Likes Evo
Yes, that is cool @Evo. I also had not heard of this before.

The first set of articles mentioned that there were mid-east site that were not yet dated and might change conclusions.
I have no idea if they were referring to the Göbekli Tepe type places or others.
It would be interesting to know how certain the 11,000-12,000 year old dates are.

That said, the Göbekli Tepe construction actually looks more sophisticated than the monoliths described in the other articles.
The stones have been worked on to a much greater extent. They are more right angular and have designs embossed upon them.
This would seem to indicate (to me anyway) an independent origin of the non-Turkish monoliths, at a later time.

Likes Evo
BillTre said:
Yes, that is cool @Evo. I also had not heard of this before.

The first set of articles mentioned that there were mid-east site that were not yet dated and might change conclusions.
I have no idea if they were referring to the Göbekli Tepe type places or others.
It would be interesting to know how certain the 11,000-12,000 year old dates are.

That said, the Göbekli Tepe construction actually looks more sophisticated than the monoliths described in the other articles.
The stones have been worked on to a much greater extent. They are more right angular and have designs embossed upon them.
This would seem to indicate (to me anyway) an independent origin of the non-Turkish monoliths, at a later time.
There are several layers to the site, the youngest dating to over 7,300 BCE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe#Dating

It is a very interesting site and one I have been watching for years.

Likes Klystron
Too much of a coincidence, these cultures all building monoliths - must be aliens (just kidding)

What is interesting about Gobekli Tebe is that it predates agriculture - a hunter gatherer society built them

Likes Evo
BWV said:
What is interesting about Gobekli Tebe is that it predates agriculture - a hunter gatherer society built them
Do we really know that for sure? I know the article says that but I wonder how certain it is.

phinds said:
Do we really know that for sure? I know the article says that but I wonder how certain it is.

Not sure how sure we are of anything related to prehistory, but my understanding is that early agriculture was limited to river valleys with annual floods like the Nile, Mesopotamia, Indus, etc because of no other method of fertilization, anywhere else the soil would become depleted. The article states no evidence has been found of settlements or domesticated plants and animals in the area

Likes Evo
Evo said:
It is well known that very sophisticated megalithic stone formations have been found in the Near East that far pre-dates any of this. Göbekli Tepe dates from 11,000-12,000 BC. [snip!]

An excerpt from the National Geographic article
"The debris includes tens of thousands of broken animal bones, including gazelles and aurochs, a type of wild cow that’s now extinct." [Italics added]​

Could these digs help push back estimated dates of animal husbandry? I seem to remember controversy surrounding auroch bones found in early cave sites; and

"During the Neolithic Revolution, which occurred during the early Holocene, at least two aurochs domestication events occurred: one related to the Indian subspecies, leading to zebu cattle, and the other one related to the Eurasian subspecies, leading to taurine cattle. Other species of wild bovines were also domesticated, namely the wild water buffalo, gaur, wild yak and banteng. In modern cattle, numerous breeds share characteristics of the aurochs, such as a dark colour in the bulls with a light eel stripe along the back (the cows being lighter), or a typical aurochs-like horn shape."​

While gazelles were no-doubt hunted, aurochs and related cattle species could have been involved in early domestication events. For example note 18th and 19th Century reports of "wild cattle" found throughout lower North and Central America later determined to be descendants of cattle re-introduced by 15th and 16th C. Europeans. [See also Texas Longhorn]

Likes Evo

Related to The origins of European Megaliths

1. What are megaliths?

Megaliths are large stones that were used to construct prehistoric monuments in Europe. They can range in size from a few tons to several hundred tons and were typically used as part of burial chambers, standing stones, or stone circles.

2. When were megaliths built in Europe?

Megaliths were built during the Neolithic and Bronze Age periods, which spanned from around 4500 BC to 1500 BC. However, some megalithic structures may have been built as early as 7000 BC.

3. What was the purpose of megaliths?

The purpose of megaliths is still debated among scientists and historians. Some theories suggest they were used for religious or ceremonial purposes, while others propose they were used as markers for astronomical events or as communal gathering places.

4. How were megaliths constructed?

The construction of megaliths is a complex process that varied depending on the type of structure. Some megaliths were transported from distant quarries and moved using techniques such as rolling, sledging, and levering. Others were built in situ using post and lintel construction methods.

5. What evidence do we have about the builders of megaliths?

The builders of megaliths were prehistoric societies that left behind little written records. However, archaeologists have been able to gather information about these societies through the analysis of artifacts found near megalithic structures, such as pottery, tools, and human remains. Additionally, some megaliths have carvings or engravings, providing insight into the beliefs and customs of the builders.

Back