The number of possible combinations with a constraint

In summary, the conversation is about a programming problem from the Euler project that involves probability and combinations. The speaker is having difficulty solving it and is seeking help with the formula. The formula is discussed, and the conversation ends with the speaker understanding it.
Bayoudh101
Hello , i was doing one of Euler project programming problems the other day , and i came across this one .
i tried everything i know about probability , i tried combinations and everything , and i just couldn't get something logically fit to solve this . i tried to ignore this but i just couldn't get it out of my head .

5LB4eW8.png

ignore the last line , as that can be done with the program .
for me this is a purely mathematical problem, all i tired to do was formulate p with k and n
i am just looking for the formula p(k,n) . it's giving me a headache .

thank you very much

Attachments

• 5LB4eW8.png
    5LB4eW8.png
    15 KB · Views: 567
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Approach it as: (number of ways to pick one of the n chips to have 3 defects)(number of ways to distribute k-3 defects among n chips)/ (number of ways to distribute k defects among n chips).

The number of ways to distribute d distinguishable defects among n distinguishable chips is ##n^d##.

Likes Bayoudh101
Stephen Tashi said:
Approach it as: (number of ways to pick one of the n chips to have 3 defects)(number of ways to distribute k-3 defects among n chips)/ (number of ways to distribute k defects among n chips).

The number of ways to distribute d distinguishable defects among n distinguishable chips is ##n^d##.

thank you very much sir , i can see it now .

Related to The number of possible combinations with a constraint

What is meant by "the number of possible combinations with a constraint"?

When discussing the number of possible combinations with a constraint, it refers to the number of ways that a set of elements can be arranged or combined while adhering to a specific limitation or restriction.

Why is it important to consider constraints when determining the number of possible combinations?

Constraints play a crucial role in determining the number of possible combinations because they limit the number of options and arrangements that are available. This can significantly impact the outcome and make it more challenging to find the total number of combinations.

What are some common examples of constraints that affect the number of possible combinations?

Constraints can come in many forms, but some common examples include limited resources, specific rules or regulations, and physical limitations. For example, the number of possible seating arrangements for a dinner party might be constrained by the number of chairs available or the number of guests invited.

How is the number of possible combinations with a constraint calculated?

The formula for determining the number of possible combinations with a constraint is n! / (n-r)! where n represents the total number of elements and r represents the number of elements being selected or arranged. This formula is known as the combination formula and is used in many areas of mathematics and science.

What is the significance of understanding the number of possible combinations with a constraint?

Understanding the number of possible combinations with a constraint is crucial in many fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. It allows us to analyze and predict outcomes, make informed decisions, and solve complex problems. Additionally, it can help us optimize systems and processes by identifying the most efficient and effective combinations.