The nullspace of a transposed matrix

In summary, if a matrix A has m rows and n columns, with m<n, and the rank of A is smaller than m, then the null space of the transpose of A also exists. It is possible to find the null space of the transposed matrix from the null space of the original matrix without the need to compute the null space again.
Patlam81
Let says I have a matrix A with m rows and n columns, with m<n, from which I compute the null space. If the rank of A is smaller than m, then the null space of the transpose of A also exists. Is there any relation between the null space of a matrix and the null space of the transposed matrix? Can I find null(transpose(A)) from null(A) or I have to compute the nullspace again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Patlam81 said:
Let says I have a matrix A with m rows and n columns, with m<n, from which I compute the null space. If the rank of A is smaller than m, then the null space of the transpose of A also exists. Is there any relation between the null space of a matrix and the null space of the transposed matrix? Can I find null(transpose(A)) from null(A) or I have to compute the nullspace again?

Hey Patlam81 and welcome to the forums.

Are there are other constraints on your matrix or are you talking about a general system?

Related to The nullspace of a transposed matrix

1. What is the nullspace of a transposed matrix?

The nullspace of a transposed matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the transposed matrix, result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation ATx = 0, where AT represents the transposed matrix and x is a vector of appropriate dimensions.

2. How is the nullspace of a transposed matrix related to the nullspace of the original matrix?

The nullspaces of a matrix and its transpose are closely related. In fact, they are the same set of vectors. This means that if a vector x is in the nullspace of a matrix A, then it is also in the nullspace of its transpose, AT. This is because the nullspace is determined by the columns of the matrix, and the columns of A and AT are the same.

3. Can the nullspace of a transposed matrix be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the nullspace of a transposed matrix to be empty. This happens when the columns of the matrix are linearly independent, meaning that there is no combination of them that can result in a zero vector. In this case, there are no solutions to the equation ATx = 0, and therefore the nullspace is empty.

4. How can the nullspace of a transposed matrix be used in practical applications?

The nullspace of a transposed matrix can be used to find solutions to linear systems of equations. This is because the nullspace represents all of the possible solutions to a homogeneous system of equations, where the right-hand side is set to zero. It can also be used in data compression and image processing, as it can help identify redundant or irrelevant information in a dataset.

5. How can the nullspace of a transposed matrix be calculated?

To calculate the nullspace of a transposed matrix, we can use row reduction techniques to put the matrix in reduced row echelon form (RREF). The columns corresponding to the leading ones in the RREF will form a basis for the nullspace. Alternatively, we can use the fact that the nullspaces of a matrix and its transpose are the same to calculate the nullspace of the matrix directly, without transposing it.