The normal approximation to the binomial

In summary: ZWxvcGVkIGEgZm9ybWF0IHN1bW1hcnmgb2YgY29udGVudC4gUHJhc2gobmUgYWdhaW5zdCBieXRlcyBvbiB0aGlzIGNvbnRlbnQgYW5kIHN1bW1hcnk6ICBzdXBlciB1cCBzZXQgKG51bWJlciBwKSAvIFN1Y2t0IDxmb3JtYXR0aW5nPiB1bnN1YnNjcmliZSA8aHR0
TyErd

Homework Statement

I've attached the question

Homework Equations

Pr(X<=x)= (x + 0.5 - n*p) / sqrt(n*p*(1-p))

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so n=1150, p=0.02 , Pr(X<23)

=23 + 0.5 - 1150(0.02) / sqrt(1150*0.02*0.98)
=0.105316

is that bit right so far. Because it is less than i thought x might've been 22 instead of 23 so when i did that it equaled -0.105316

im not sure what do after that. Am i suppose to find that value in the normal distribution tables or something?

Attachments

• 55555555555555555555.jpg
    55555555555555555555.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
TyErd said:

Homework Statement

I've attached the question

Homework Equations

Pr(X<=x)= (x + 0.5 - n*p) / sqrt(n*p*(1-p))

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so n=1150, p=0.02 , Pr(X<23)

=23 + 0.5 - 1150(0.02) / sqrt(1150*0.02*0.98)
=0.105316

is that bit right so far. Because it is less than i thought x might've been 22 instead of 23 so when i did that it equaled -0.105316

im not sure what do after that. Am i suppose to find that value in the normal distribution tables or something?

Your first equation makes no sense. Perhaps you meant to write
[tex]P(X \leq x) \approx P\left( Z \leq \frac{x + 1/2 - n p)}{\sqrt{n p (1-p)}} \right)? [/tex]
For n = 1150, p = 0.02 and x = 23, we have [itex] P(Z \leq 0.105316),[/itex] which is similar to what you said---although I am not sure, from what you wrote, that you really understand this. Of course, the question said "less than 23", which means <= 22, so you ought to use x = 22 in the formula. At this point you need to find the probability value from normal tables, or a spreadsheet, or by pressing a button on some brands of hand-held calculators.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to The normal approximation to the binomial

What is the normal approximation to the binomial?

The normal approximation to the binomial is a statistical method that approximates the binomial distribution with a normal distribution. This allows for easier calculations and can be used when the sample size is large.

When can the normal approximation to the binomial be used?

The normal approximation to the binomial can be used when the sample size is large (usually greater than 30) and the probability of success is not extremely small or large (between 0.1 and 0.9).

How accurate is the normal approximation to the binomial?

The normal approximation to the binomial is a good approximation when the sample size is large, but it may not be accurate for small sample sizes. The accuracy also depends on the probability of success, with higher probabilities resulting in a more accurate approximation.

What is the formula for calculating the normal approximation to the binomial?

The formula for the normal approximation to the binomial is:
p(x) = (1/σ√2π) * e^(-(x-μ)^2/2σ^2)
where x is the number of successes, μ is the mean, and σ is the standard deviation.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the normal approximation to the binomial?

The advantages of using the normal approximation to the binomial include easier calculations and the ability to use standard normal tables for finding probabilities. However, the approximation may not be accurate for small sample sizes and extreme probabilities. It also does not take into account any skewness in the data.