Is the New Shogun Series a Worthy Successor or Just a Stylish Tribute?

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have watched three or four episodes of this show and I think its quite well made.

Reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones. Lots of place intrigue and competing factions, but easy to understand. This review kind of agrees.
To me, as a non-Japanese, it seems pretty authentic with lots of Japanese actors and people in the production staff, but I would like to hear from more knowledgeable people about this.

One thing I like is that here are different languages (Japanese, Portuguese, spoken as English in the show), and maybe English) being used but only a handful of the characters understand them all. Translators have significant power in determining what is understood. The subtitles for what is said by a Japanese speaker and what the translator often have differences. Some of this is just reasonably quick translations, but some can be manipulative deceptions.

It occurred to me that if the series were shown in Japan, some of these subtitles would have interesting changes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 11.03.34 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 11.03.34 AM.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 11
Likes DennisN
Science news on Phys.org
I wanted to like it.
When compared to the previous one it seems to have traded naturalistic interpersonal nuance for overly-pretty spectacle. Also, it tragically suffers from the lack of a Toshiro Mifune, Mariko sounds less like she was tutored in a foreign language and more like she's just graduated from King's College, and I suppose Mr Jarvis just #ain't_my_Anjin-san.
Not a bad show by any stretch, but hardly an improvement, imo.

Likes phinds
BillTre said:
I have watched three or four episodes of this show and I think its quite well made.
I've heard good things about it, but I haven't watched it yet.
The original Shogun series is real classic. :smile:

Bandersnatch said:
I wanted to like it.
When compared to the previous one it seems to have traded naturalistic interpersonal nuance for overly-pretty spectacle. Also, it tragically suffers from the lack of a Toshiro Mifune, Mariko sounds less like she was tutored in a foreign language and more like she's just graduated from King's College, and I suppose Mr Jarvis just #ain't_my_Anjin-san.
Not a bad show by any stretch, but hardly an improvement, imo.
I haven't watched it yet but my wife has and she specifically said two of the same things you did. Mifune is sorely missed and it is not as good as the older version.