The need for the Dirac delta function

In summary: However, as ##r## approaches 0, the field strength approaches infinity, causing the divergence to be infinite at the origin. This field does not have spherical symmetry like the previous one, so the argument about using an infinitesimal volume element does not apply. The reason why the math behaves more nicely is because the divergence is a second-order effect and can be neglected as the volume element shrinks to 0.
albega
So part of the idea presented in my book is that:
div(r/r3)=0 everywhere, but looking at this vector field it should not be expected. We would expect some divergence at the origin and zero divergence everywhere else.

However I don't understand why we would expect it to be zero everywhere but the centre, because if you draw it, the arrows get smaller as we move out radially. If you consider placing a little cube somewhere in the field not at the centre, the arrows entering that cube would be larger than those leaving. Surely that would give a negative divergence at these points. I obviously understand why it should be large at the centre.

This leads me to my other point. Consider the r/r2 field - it is similar to the above field, just falling off less rapidly. This field has 1/r2 divergence however. My first issue is, why does it not give negative divergences by my above argument of arrows into a little cube, and because of the similarities for the above field, why does it not give zero divergence apart from at the origin? Secondly, why does the maths behave so much more nicely for such a similar field?

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
albega said:
div(r/r3)=0 everywhere, but looking at this vector field it should not be expected. We would expect some divergence at the origin and zero divergence everywhere else.

However I don't understand why we would expect it to be zero everywhere but the centre, because if you draw it, the arrows get smaller as we move out radially. If you consider placing a little cube somewhere in the field not at the centre, the arrows entering that cube would be larger than those leaving. Surely that would give a negative divergence at these points. I obviously understand why it should be large at the centre.

This leads me to my other point. Consider the r/r2 field - it is similar to the above field, just falling off less rapidly. This field has 1/r2 divergence however. My first issue is, why does it not give negative divergences by my above argument of arrows into a little cube, and because of the similarities for the above field, why does it not give zero divergence apart from at the origin? Secondly, why does the maths behave so much more nicely for such a similar field?

You say "However I don't understand why we would expect it to be zero..."; well, have you actually sat down and computed ##\text{div}\: (\vec{r}/r^3)## at ##\vec{r} \neq \vec{0}##? If you keep track of things during the calculation you will see how and why some cancellations occur, leaving you with 0.

This is an utmost important exercise. So you should do it very carefully. The correct equation to prove is
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \frac{\vec{r}}{r}=4 \pi \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}).[/tex]
The proof for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is almost trivial, just brute-force derivatives will do.

To check that the [itex]\delta[/itex]-distribution is correct, use Gauss's Law for an arbitrary volume containing the origin in its interior with a ball of infinitesimal radius around the origin taken out to integrate the expression on the left-hand side together with an arbitrary test function.

albega said:

Because of the spherical symmetry of this scenario, a cube isn't the best choice to use to analyze the situation. Try using the infinitesimal volume element for the spherical coordinate system instead.

For an infinitesimal cube, I expect any differences in flux correspond to second-order terms and can therefore be neglected as the volume of the cube tends to 0. For a finite cube, I suspect the difference in angle at which the field lines intersect the surfaces is just enough to cancel out the effect of the changing field strength. It's left to the reader (you) to verify this is indeed the case. :wink:

In this case, the field doesn't fall off fast enough with increasing ##r## so that there's a net positive flux.

Related to The need for the Dirac delta function

1. What is the Dirac delta function and why is it important in science?

The Dirac delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at x = 0, where it is infinite. It is important in science because it allows us to represent an impulse or an infinitely narrow spike in a mathematical model. This is useful in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. How is the Dirac delta function different from a regular function?

The Dirac delta function is different from a regular function in that it is not actually a function in the traditional sense. It is a generalized function, also known as a distribution, that is used to represent an impulse or a point mass. Unlike regular functions, it does not have a definite value at any point except at x = 0, where it is infinite.

3. Can the Dirac delta function be graphed?

No, the Dirac delta function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense because it is not a continuous function. However, it can be represented graphically as a spike at x = 0 with an infinitely small width and infinite height. This visual representation helps us understand its behavior and use it in mathematical models.

4. What is the relationship between the Dirac delta function and the Kronecker delta function?

The Dirac delta function and the Kronecker delta function are both mathematical functions that represent an impulse or a point mass. However, they are defined differently and have different properties. The Kronecker delta function is defined as 1 at x = 0 and 0 everywhere else, while the Dirac delta function is defined as infinite at x = 0 and 0 everywhere else. The two functions are related by the limit δ(x) = limn→∞ δn(x), where δn(x) is a sequence of functions that converges to the Dirac delta function as n approaches infinity.

5. How is the Dirac delta function used in solving differential equations?

The Dirac delta function is used in solving differential equations through the concept of convolution. Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function that describes how the shape of one is modified by the other. In solving differential equations, the Dirac delta function is often used as the input function to represent an impulse or initial condition. This allows us to find the solution to the differential equation using the convolution operation.