The Mystery of Ideal Miller Integrator: Formula Breakdown and Analysis

• Thread starter ntetlow
  • Start date
In summary, the equation for V2/II in this circuit is incorrect because it depends on the value of c which is not set.
ntetlow
Hello,
attached is a screenshot showing a schematic of an ideal miller integrator. Can anyone describe how the formula for V2/II is arrived at, can't work it out thru nodal analysis myself. Thanks in advance.
Screenshot (10).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you write the equation for ##\frac{V_2}{I_I}## using the traditional differential equation for the current and voltage for a capacitor? Is it just the s-domain part that is confusing for you?

It's hard to know how to respond without knowing what part is confusing you or what your background knowledge in circuit analysis is. Try your nodal analysis and post it, then we'll know more about what to say.

It is not an "ideal" Miller integrator. This would only be the case (theoretically) for Kv approaching infinity.

Likes berkeman
it's how you get to the equation V2/II= -K/(1+KSC) where I'm confused.
Analysis gives II = V/R1 + (V1 - V2),S,C where V is the voltage over R1.
Also V2 = V1.K.
In order to get the right equation from the above I'd have to eliminate R1 which I cant.

ntetlow said:
(V1 - V2),S,C
What does this mean?

ntetlow said:
V is the voltage over R1.
Show us the circuit with RI (and all the other stuff).

Likes berkeman
attached is screenshot of the spice netlist for the schematics in the URL Under "ideal integrator" you will see RIN (sorry, I've called it R1). It is the resistance under the number 1 in the first screenshot that is not shown.
Screenshot (19).png

ntetlow said:
attached is screenshot of the spice netlist for the schematics in the URL Under "ideal integrator"
Can you switch to schematic view and take a screenshot of that? Thanks.

Attached is the ltspice schematic as per the netlist. I think it will be easier understanding if II is replaced by say SINE (0 1 1000).
Screenshot (20).png

ntetlow said:
I think it will be easier understanding if II is replaced by say SINE (0 1 1000).
OK thanks. Yes, or you can just leave it as an independent variable ##Il##.

Do you know about Thevenin/Norton transformations for sources yet? That would be my next step. But, if not, that's OK too.

So, this is just a network solution like the others you've done in the past. Define all of the stuff you need to make your node and loop equations (all of the currents and node voltages). Write them all down, loops of voltages for KVL, nodes with currents for KCL and show us that. After that you'll simplify/solve a set of equations.

The schematic you show in post #9 (your simulation) does not represent the schematic in post #1.

Please pay attention to the feedback polarity, one of them shows Positive feedback, the other shows Negative feedback.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. A few decades ago, the standards changed for the position of the "+" and "-" inputs of op-amps, especially in simulation programs. The transition for us engineers was, shall we say, painful!

Likes berkeman
Attached is a screenshot showing my workings out so far. I cannot get the correct answer from these, however.
Screenshot (21).png

Last edited by a moderator:
ntetlow said:
attached is a screenshot showing a schematic of an ideal miller integrator. Can anyone describe how the formula for V2/II is arrived at, can't work it out thru nodal analysis myself

Be skeptical of things you find online because they could be wrong

like this example http://www.ecircuitcenter.com/Circuits_Audio_Amp/Miller_Integrator/Miller_Integrator.htm

Circuit-13.jpg

$$\text{If}~~~~\frac {V_2}{I}=\frac {-k}{1+ksc} ~~~~~~~~~~~\text{then}~~~V_2=-kI~~~~~~\text{when}~~c=0 $$

$$\text{But for this circuit, this conclusion is obviously not valid}$$

Last edited:

Related to The Mystery of Ideal Miller Integrator: Formula Breakdown and Analysis

1. What is an Ideal Miller Integrator?

An Ideal Miller Integrator is a type of electronic circuit that performs mathematical integration on an input signal. It is commonly used in analog and digital signal processing applications.

2. How does an Ideal Miller Integrator work?

An Ideal Miller Integrator uses a capacitor and an operational amplifier to perform integration on an input signal. The capacitor stores charge and the operational amplifier amplifies and integrates the input signal.

3. What is the formula for an Ideal Miller Integrator?

The formula for an Ideal Miller Integrator is Vout = -1/RC * ∫(Vin) dt, where Vout is the output voltage, Vin is the input voltage, R is the resistor value, and C is the capacitor value.

4. What is the significance of the -1/RC term in the formula?

The -1/RC term in the formula represents the time constant of the circuit. It determines the rate at which the input signal is integrated and the cutoff frequency of the circuit.

5. How can the Ideal Miller Integrator be analyzed and optimized?

The Ideal Miller Integrator can be analyzed and optimized using circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Thevenin's theorem. It can also be optimized by selecting appropriate values for the resistor and capacitor to achieve the desired integration and frequency response.