The Mystery of Fermi Energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs

In summary, the applied gate voltage in an accumulation-mode FET can be translated to the Fermi energy of the active region using the equation EF = (Vg - Vt) + (Cg/Cox)*(φm - EF). This equation takes into account the gate capacitance, oxide capacitance, and work function of the gate metal in calculating the shift in Fermi energy caused by the gate effect. Further research into FET theory and consulting with experts may provide additional insights and understanding.
Batmaniac
Greetings,

I've been doing some literature research and can't seem to find any answers to my question.

In an accumulation-mode FET (i.e. only relevant capacitance is that of the gate dielectric), how does one translate the applied gate-voltage to the Fermi energy of the active region?

Say we can measure the threshold voltage (approximately the conduction band in an n-channel FET?), and know the geometric capacitance of our gate dielectric, and the work function of our gate metal, there should be some way to calculate the shift in fermi energy (i.e. where have I lifted the Fermi energy to relative to the conduction band) caused by the gate-effect, accounting for the "shielding" effect of the gate dielectric.

If anyone has any general thoughts/things to look-up/paper/references/anything, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The relationship between the applied gate voltage and the Fermi energy of the active region in an accumulation-mode FET can be calculated using the following equation:

EF = (Vg - Vt) + (Cg/Cox)*(φm - EF)

Where EF is the Fermi energy, Vg is the applied gate voltage, Vt is the threshold voltage, Cg is the gate capacitance, Cox is the oxide capacitance, and φm is the work function of the gate metal. This equation takes into account the "shielding" effect of the gate dielectric and allows you to calculate the shift in Fermi energy caused by the gate effect.

I would recommend looking into papers and references on the theory of FETs and semiconductor physics for a more in-depth understanding of this relationship. Additionally, you may find it helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for further insights and discussions.

Best of luck in your research!

Related to The Mystery of Fermi Energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs

What is the purpose of studying Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs?

The purpose of studying Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs is to gain a better understanding of how these transistors function and how they can be optimized for use in electronic devices. Fermi energy plays a crucial role in determining the electrical properties of FETs and understanding it can help improve their performance.

What is Fermi energy and how does it relate to Accumulation-Mode FETs?

Fermi energy is the energy level at which electrons in a material have a 50% chance of being occupied. In Accumulation-Mode FETs, the Fermi energy level determines the threshold voltage at which the transistor switches from an off state to an on state. It is also important in determining the conductivity and carrier density of the channel in the transistor.

How is Fermi energy measured in Accumulation-Mode FETs?

Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs can be measured through various techniques such as capacitance-voltage (C-V) measurements, Hall effect measurements, and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM). These methods allow for the determination of the Fermi energy level and its impact on the electrical properties of the transistor.

What factors affect Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs?

Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs can be affected by several factors, including the type of material used, the doping level, and the presence of surface states. Changes in these factors can alter the Fermi energy level and subsequently impact the performance of the transistor.

How can understanding Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs lead to advancements in technology?

Understanding Fermi energy in Accumulation-Mode FETs can lead to advancements in technology by allowing for the development of more efficient and reliable electronic devices. By optimizing the Fermi energy level, FETs can be made to operate at lower voltages, consume less power, and have higher switching speeds, resulting in improved performance and functionality in various applications.