The momentum representation of ##x## and ##[x,p]##

In summary: Why its eigenvalue is complex? It means that ##<\phi_p|\hat p\hat x|\phi_p>-<\phi_p|\hat x\hat p|\phi_p>=-i##, but the complex part is ##<\phi_p|\hat p\hat x|\phi_p>=p##, which is a real number, ##-i## is a imaginary number. So, is the eigenvalue of an observable physical quantity always a real number?In summary, we discussed the momentum representation of position and momentum operators and their commutator, which led to the conclusion that there are no normalizable momentum eigenstates. We then explored the idea of using an approximate momentum eigenstate and found that the
Pring
To deduce the momentum representation of ##[x,p]##, we can see one paradom
##<p|[x,p]|p>=i\hbar##
##<p|[x,p]|p>=<p|xp|p>-<p|px|p>=p<p|x|p>-p<p|x|p>=0##
Why? If we deduce the momentum representation of ##x##, we obtain
##<p|x|p>=i\hbar \frac{\partial \delta (p'-p)}{\partial p'}|_{p'=p}##. This value is not definite. So, why two uncertain values can obtained a certain value ##i\hbar##? In addition, the ##x## should be replace by ##i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial p}##. Then the eigenvalue ##p## can't extract. However, if we consider ##i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial p}## to act on the bra, not the ket, then the eigenvalue ##p## can be extracted. Is anything wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pring said:
##<p|[x,p]|p>=i\hbar##

What does <p|p> equal?

Remember formal manipulations involving infinity are rather dubious.

The real solution to this sort of stuff requires Rigged Hilbert Spaces which needs a very good background in analysis to understand. As a build up to it I suggest the following book which should be in armoury of any physicist nor even applied mathematician:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It will not rigorously resolve what's going on, that requires considerable advanced analysis, but will allow an intuitive accommodation.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude and vanhees71
bhobba said:
er formal manipula
I just regard this term as normalization 1.

Pring said:
I just regard this term as normalization 1.

<p|p'> = Dirac delta (p - p'). Substitute p = p' and you get Dirac delta (0) - which strictly speaking is undefined, but intuitively is taken as infinity.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
<p|p'> = Dirac delta (p - p'). Substitute p = p' and you get Dirac delta (0) - which strictly speaking is undefined, but intuitively is taken as infinity.

Thanks
Bill
Aha, you are right, thank you!

Pring said:
Aha, you are right, thank you!

No problem.

This stuff can be tricky because its not really valid with the math you likely know at the beginner level.

That's why I STRONGLY suggest you get the book I mentioned. It will not resolve things completely, but things will be a LOT clearer.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Pring
bhobba said:
No problem.

This stuff can be tricky because its not really valid with the math you likely know at the beginner level.

That why I STRONGLY suggest you get the book I mentioned. It will not resolve things completely, but things will be a LOT clearer.

Thanks
Bill
Yeah, nowadays books about quantum physics are of many mathematical details. Thank you for your recommend.

As Bill says, the problem is that [itex]|p\rangle[/itex] is not a normalizable state; there are no normalizable momentum eigenstates. However, you can get an approximate momentum eigenstate [itex]\phi_p(x) = (\frac{2 \lambda}{\pi})^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{i p x - \lambda x^2}[/itex]. Then:

[itex]\hat{p} \phi_p = (p + 2 i \lambda x) \phi_p[/itex]

which for small values of [itex]x[/itex] is approximately [itex]p \phi_p[/itex]. So [itex]\phi_p[/itex] is an approximate momentum eigenstate. If you compute [itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x - x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle[/itex] using the fact that [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is Hermitian, you find:

[itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x | \phi_p \rangle = \langle \hat{p} \phi_p | x | \phi_p \rangle = \langle (p + 2i \lambda x) \phi_p|x|\phi_p\rangle
= \langle \phi_p|(p - 2i \lambda x)x|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]
[itex]= p \langle \phi_p|x|\phi_p \rangle - 2i \lambda \langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]

[itex]\langle \phi_p | x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle = \langle \phi_p|(p + 2i \lambda x)x|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]
[itex]= p \langle \phi_p|x|\phi_p \rangle + 2i \lambda \langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]

So [itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x - x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle = -4i \lambda \langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle[/itex], not zero.

You might think that by choosing the convergence parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex] to be very small, you could ignore this term, but in fact, [itex]\langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle = \frac{1}{4 \lambda}[/itex], so regardless of the choice of [itex]\lambda[/itex],

[itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x - x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle = -4i \lambda \frac{1}{4 \lambda} = -i[/itex].

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and dextercioby
stevendaryl said:
As Bill says, the problem is that [itex]|p\rangle[/itex] is not a normalizable state; there are no normalizable momentum eigenstates. However, you can get an approximate momentum eigenstate [itex]\phi_p(x) = (\frac{2 \lambda}{\pi})^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{i p x - \lambda x^2}[/itex]. Then:

which for small values of [itex]x[/itex] is approximately [itex]p \phi_p[/itex]. So [itex]\phi_p[/itex] is an approximate momentum eigenstate. If you compute [itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x - x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle[/itex] using the fact that [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is Hermitian, you find:

[itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x | \phi_p \rangle = \langle \hat{p} \phi_p | x | \phi_p \rangle = \langle (p + 2i \lambda x) \phi_p|x|\phi_p\rangle
[itex]= p \langle \phi_p|x|\phi_p \rangle - 2i \lambda \langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]

[itex]\langle \phi_p | x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle = \langle \phi_p|(p + 2i \lambda x)x|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]
[itex]= p \langle \phi_p|x|\phi_p \rangle + 2i \lambda \langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle[/itex]

So [itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x - x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle = -4i \lambda \langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle[/itex], not zero.

You might think that by choosing the convergence parameter [itex]\lambda[/itex] to be very small, you could ignore this term, but in fact, [itex]\langle \phi_p |x^2|\phi_p\rangle = \frac{1}{4 \lambda}[/itex], so regardless of the choice of [itex]\lambda[/itex],

[itex]\langle \phi_p | \hat{p} x - x \hat{p} | \phi_p \rangle = -4i \lambda \frac{1}{4 \lambda} = -i[/itex].
Great! This is a specific handle,and you solve it in the coordinate representation. You miss the quantity ##\hbar##, but I think it is just a unit assumed. I have one question. We know the momentum operater is a observable physical quantity. Why its eigenvalue is complex? It means that ##<\phi_p|\hat p\hat x|\phi_p>-<\phi_p|\hat x\hat p|\phi_p>=<\phi_p|f^*(p,x)x|\phi_p>-<\phi_p|xf(p,x)|\phi_p>##?

Pring said:
We know the momentum operater is a observable physical quantity. Why its eigenvalue is complex?

The state [itex]|\phi_p\rangle[/itex] isn't an eigenstate, and the quantity [itex]p + i 2 \lambda x[/itex] isn't an eigenvalue. Notice it depends on [itex]x[/itex], and eigenvalues must be constants.

But you're right, it's kind of weird that the expectation value of [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is a complex number.

I'm going to think about that.

stevendaryl said:

This is really great! Did you devised it by yourself, or is it published somewhere else?

stevendaryl said:
But you're right, it's kind of weird that the expectation value of p̂ is a complex number.
Actually, it is a real number. We have
##\int dx \, \phi_p^* ix \phi_p =0##
so the imaginary part vanishes.

Demystifier said:
Actually, it is a real number. We have
##\int dx \, \phi_p^* ix \phi_p =0##
so the imaginary part vanishes.

How to understand this complex number based on physical reasons? Thank you for your recommended paper.

Demystifier said:
This is really great! Did you devised it by yourself, or is it published somewhere else?

Well, I did it off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's been done before. I always try to make sense of dubious mathematics by inserting parameters to make everything converge and then see if the results make sense when I let the parameter go to zero (or infinity, or whatever).

So, for example, the dubious result that [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{ikx} dx = \delta(k)[/itex], I always think of as:
[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{ikx - \lambda x^2} dx = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{\pi \lambda}} e^{-\frac{k^2}{4\lambda}}[/itex]

Or alternatively, I think of it as:
[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-L}^{+L} e^{ikx} dx = \dfrac{sin(kL)}{\pi k}[/itex]

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
stevendaryl said:
Well, I did it off the top of my head, but I'm sure it's been done before.
Perhaps, but it is certainly not well known. I believe you could publish it in a journal for pedagogic papers such as American Journal of Physics or European Journal of Physics.

Likes dlgoff

Related to The momentum representation of ##x## and ##[x,p]##

1. What is the momentum representation of x?

The momentum representation of x is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the position and momentum of a particle in terms of its wave function. It is a complementary representation to the position representation, also known as the coordinate representation.

2. How is the momentum representation of x related to the position representation?

The momentum representation of x is related to the position representation through a mathematical transformation known as the Fourier transform. This transformation allows us to switch between the two representations and gain a better understanding of the physical properties of a particle.

3. What is the significance of [x,p] in quantum mechanics?

[x,p] is known as the commutator of the position and momentum operators in quantum mechanics. It represents the uncertainty in measuring both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, as described by Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

4. How does the momentum representation of x help in solving quantum mechanical problems?

The momentum representation of x provides a unique way of describing the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It allows us to solve problems related to the momentum and energy of a particle, such as calculating the probability of finding a particle with a certain momentum or energy value.

5. Can the momentum representation of x be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the momentum representation of x can be extended to higher dimensions, such as three-dimensional space. This is known as the momentum representation of position and momentum in three dimensions, and it is used to describe the behavior of particles in more complex systems, such as atoms and molecules.