The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a question involving the moment of inertia of a system of pennies. The person was stuck between two methods and ultimately used the parallel axis theorem to solve the problem. They calculated the moment of inertia of the middle penny and then used the parallel axis equation to find the moment of inertia of each outer penny, resulting in a total moment of inertia of 55/2 Mr^2. The other person confirmed that this was done correctly.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

See attached photo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I would use the parallel axis theorem. I'm stuck between two different methods of doing the question, both of which are choices in the answers.

My gut instinct says to take the moment of inertia of the middle penny, and then use the parallel axis theorem 6 times and add it to the MoI of the middle one.

So if I take the moment of inertia of a thin disc, I have the MoI of the middle penny is 1/2 Mr^2.

Then the MoI of each outer penny would be found by the parallel axis equation I=Icm + md^2.

In this case, Icm would be 1/2 Mr^2, and Md^2 would be M(2r)^2 = 4Mr^2, making the total parallel axis moment 9/2 Mr^2

Since there are six outer pennies, 54/2 Mr^2, then add back in the original MoI from the middle penny, 55/2 Mr^2

Did I do this correctly?

Attachments

• gre.jpg
    gre.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
warfreak131 said:
Did I do this correctly?
Looks good to me.

Related to The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies

What is the moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies?

The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies is a measure of the resistance of the group to changes in its rotational motion, and is dependent on the mass and distribution of the pennies within the group.

How is the moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies calculated?

The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia of each penny and taking into account their distances from the axis of rotation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies?

The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies is affected by the mass and distribution of the pennies, as well as the distance between the pennies and the axis of rotation.

How does the moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies compare to that of a single penny?

The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies will be greater than that of a single penny due to the increased mass and distribution of the group.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies?

The moment of inertia of a group of seven pennies is important in understanding the physics of rotational motion and can also have practical applications in engineering and design.