The Man From Earth - movie question

In summary: It is a really good movie. BUT, I loved the movie! :biggrin: All in all I consider this to be great piece of sci-fi: I thought 90% of it was extremely well written with the science being mostly acceptable. The acting was somewhere between acceptable and good but with a few bloopers [okay, that may be a bit too kind, but some of the problem could be the directing], but in the end it was a lot of fun to watch - quite an achievement given that they only use one simple livingroom set for the entire movie!
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This caught my eye at the video store and I haven't been able to find it in stock for over two months. Has anyone watched this? Is it that good or is this some kind of cheesy cult movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Some of the reviews suggest that this could be a relatively unfunded classic.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
This caught my eye at the video store and I haven't been able to find it in stock for over two months. Has anyone watched this? Is it that good or is this some kind of cheesy cult movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Some of the reviews suggest that this could be a relatively unfunded classic.

Ivan, it is not very good, i will not spoil it but it is all talk and NO action, but then again some might enjoy the debate.

You can get a preview or even the whole movie in amongst this lot, sorry i forget which

http://www.ovguide.com/

Last edited:
wolram said:
Ivan, it is not very good, i will not spoil it but it is all talk and NO action, but then again some might enjoy the debate.

Actually, yes, I consider that a potential positive. :biggrin:

Was the debate stupid or was the objection that you don't enjoy those sorts of movies?

Ivan Seeking said:
Actually, yes, I consider that a potential positive. :biggrin:

Was the debate stupid or was the objection that you don't enjoy those sorts of movies?

I can not tell you about it without spoiling it, but i think it is not your type of movie, you do mentor S and D.

Thanks for the link. I guess I will have to join a movie download service.

BUT, I loved the movie! :biggrin: All in all I consider this to be great piece of sci-fi: I thought 90% of it was extremely well written with the science being mostly acceptable. The acting was somewhere between acceptable and good but with a few bloopers [okay, that may be a bit too kind, but some of the problem could be the directing], but in the end it was a lot of fun to watch - quite an achievement given that they only use one simple livingroom set for the entire movie! This rates as a classic in my book; probably in my top ten for sci-fi.

Now I know why it has been checked out for two months solid.

Last edited:

Related to The Man From Earth - movie question

What is the premise of "The Man From Earth" movie?

The movie follows the story of a man named John Oldman, who claims to have lived for over 14,000 years and shares his experiences and knowledge with a group of colleagues before he mysteriously disappears.

Is the movie based on a true story?

No, the movie is a work of fiction and is not based on a true story. It was written by Jerome Bixby, a science fiction writer, and was directed by Richard Schenkman.

What genre does "The Man From Earth" fall under?

The movie is classified as a science fiction drama. It explores themes of immortality, human evolution, and the nature of existence.

Why is the movie filmed in one location?

The movie is filmed in one location, a cabin in the woods, to create a sense of isolation and to focus on the dialogue and interactions between the characters. This also adds to the overall mystery and suspense of the story.

Does the movie have any sequels or spin-offs?

No, there are no official sequels or spin-offs of "The Man From Earth" movie. However, there have been talks of a potential sequel, but it has not been confirmed or released yet.