The Limits of Scientism: Examining the Boundaries of Scientific Knowledge

• Thread starter ryokan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary: There are a lot of people that think that science is the only way to know reality. I think this is a mistake. I believe that there are other ways to know reality, and that science is just one of those ways.
ryokan
The epistemic interest and technical applications of Science are obvious.
A lot of scientists think that Science is the only possible way to the knowledge of the "reality". So, it would be only a matter of time the conquest by Science of all the old metaphysical questions.
I am not in accordance with this assertion. I think that this approach, Scientism, is not Science but a bad Metaphysics.
¿What is your opinion on this topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think many scientists would assert anything so strong as "science is the only possible way to the knowledge of the 'reality'". Science happens to be the most successful methodology for understanding the physical world that mankind has ever created, but that doesn't mean it is capable of leading us to all the answers, or that it will not be eventually supplanted by some methodology of even greater power.

If a horse race were used as an analogy to understanding the universe, we're simply betting on the best horse.

- Warren

I think most people that think Science is so omnipotent aren't scientists. They're dumbasses.

Smurf said:
I think most people that think Science is so omnipotent aren't scientists. They're dumbasses.

Concise. :biggrin:

- Warren

We're not going to find the most fundamental laws of physics by use of the scientific methodology of experiment. The energies required of experiments to confirm such theories is just too great to be done by man, ever. Instead, we'll have to start with the most logical principles that cannot be mistaken and derive physics from that.

Mike2 said:
We're not going to find the most fundamental laws of physics by use of the scientific methodology of experiment. The energies required of experiments to confirm such theories is just too great to be done by man, ever. Instead, we'll have to start with the most logical principles that cannot be mistaken and derive physics from that.

Your post includes a tacit notion that to be called an experiment, we must have built all the apparatus ourselves. I certainly don't see this as a necessary condition: did Newton make the Earth so he could experiment with gravity?

It turns out the universe around us provides many, many different high-energy "laboratories" we may study, in the form of supernovae, black holes, etc. There's a reason why high-energy physicists and astronomers keep sharing tables in the lunch room these days.

- Warren

ryokan said:
The epistemic interest and technical applications of Science are obvious.
A lot of scientists think that Science is the only possible way to the knowledge of the "reality". So, it would be only a matter of time the conquest by Science of all the old metaphysical questions.
I am not in accordance with this assertion. I think that this approach, Scientism, is not Science but a bad Metaphysics.
¿What is your opinion on this topic?

Very few scientists claim that science will one day answer all important questions regarding Nature (though many may be confident here). But there are plenty of them who adopt a weaker form of scientism...namely that knowledge can be obtained only by using methodologies that at least approximate the existing scientific methodologies (science approach Truth via the existing scientific methodologies, their actual place is basically granted once and forever, no important paradigm shift is ever expected by a rational being at this level).

It is this type of scientism which is behind (for example) all strong conclusions of Richard Dawkins*, behind the strong support for scientific realism (though the problem of Truth is far from being solved once and forever, I touched this subject http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203273&highlight=#203273 ) or behind L. Motl's cheap rejection of Bohmian mechanics and strong emergence...

Still there is no sufficient reason at this time to grant a 'God's eye point of view' to the actual scientific methodologies (a minimal form of realism included), a healthy form of skepticism is clearly a much better http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177564&highlight=#177564 ...it can be accepted that the actual scientific methodologies are our best 'tools' at the moment to make sense of the observed facts but this in no way imply scientism (as defined above)...

*all types of religious beliefs in the existence of a Creator (eternal or outside time) - even not conceived yet alternatives - are irrational, a possible Creator of our Universe is necessarily complex and thus the end product of a 'natural' process etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
DSM: Science or Scientism?

It is possible that modern Psichiatry exemplifies the Scientism in his hard form.
The manual currently used to diagnose psychiatric disorders, the DSM IV, do not seems, from my viewpoint, the best method of approach to the complexity of mental diseases.

First of all:
We can distinguish between that class of existents that comprises A:"all that exists that cannot be discovered, or guessed at, by scientific methods" and B:"all that exist that can be discovered, or guessed at, by scientific methods"
For class B, why should we employ any other methods than science, and for class A, how could we ever know it isn't empty?

The "...knowledge of reality" is a rather ambiguous term, I guess you mean "absolute knowledge?" It is a bit silly to think that science alone can bring us knowledge of reality, everytime I stub my toe I am reminded of reality. As for absolute knowledge, nothing hits home faster and more clearly than a stubbed toe!

arildno said:
First of all:
We can distinguish between that class of existents that comprises A:"all that exists that cannot be discovered, or guessed at, by scientific methods" and B:"all that exist that can be discovered, or guessed at, by scientific methods"
For class B, why should we employ any other methods than science, and for class A, how could we ever know it isn't empty?

I'm pretty sure my consciousness and everything interior to me exists, even though I can't prove it using exterior methodologies.

Related to The Limits of Scientism: Examining the Boundaries of Scientific Knowledge

1. What is scientism?

Scientism is the belief that the scientific method is the only valid way to understand and explain the world. It holds that all phenomena, including those traditionally considered outside the realm of science, can be explained by natural causes and verified through empirical evidence.

2. Is scientism considered a legitimate scientific approach?

Scientism is a controversial topic among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that it is a legitimate approach to understanding the world, while others believe that it is an overgeneralization of the scientific method and can lead to reductionist thinking.

3. How is scientism different from science?

Science is a systematic way of acquiring knowledge about the world through observation, experimentation, and reasoning. Scientism, on the other hand, is a philosophical position that elevates the scientific method to the only valid way of understanding the world.

4. Can scientism be applied to all areas of knowledge?

No, scientism is limited to the natural sciences and cannot be applied to all areas of knowledge. It does not consider other ways of knowing, such as intuition, ethics, and aesthetics, which are important in fields such as philosophy and the arts.

5. How does scientism impact society?

Scientism can have both positive and negative impacts on society. On the positive side, it has led to many scientific advancements and technologies that have improved our lives. However, it can also lead to a dismissal of other forms of knowledge and can be used to justify harmful actions, such as the exploitation of natural resources.