The Limit of a Matrix Sequence as n Approaches Infinity

In summary, the limit as ##n \to \infty## of ##U_n(a) =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & a/n \\ 0 & -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}^n##, for any real ##a## is ##U =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \cos a & \sin a \\ 0 & -\sin a & \cos a \end{pmatrix}##. This can be verified by writing ##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (C_n(a
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the limit as ##n \to \infty ## of ##U_n(a) =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & a/n \\ 0 & -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}^n##, for any real ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I find ##U =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \cos a & \sin a \\ 0 & -\sin a & \cos a \end{pmatrix}## but I'm not too sure. Do you think it is correct ?

I wrote ##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (C_n(a))^n \end{pmatrix} ##, where ## C_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & a/n \\ -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}##

Then I diagonalized ##C_n(a)## in ##M_2(\mathbb{C})## so that

##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & P \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (D_n(a))^n \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & P^{-1} \end{pmatrix} ##

with ##D_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1+ia/n & 0 \\ 0 & 1 - ia/n \end{pmatrix} ##, ##P = \begin{pmatrix} i & i \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}##, and ##P^{-1} = \frac{1}{2i}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & -i \\ 1 & i \end{pmatrix} ##

and then ##(D_n(a))^n \to \begin{pmatrix} e^{ia} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-ia} \end{pmatrix}##

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the limits? Beside the ##1## all terms include increasing powers of ##\frac{1}{n}##.

Likes geoffrey159
Honestly I have extrapolated to the complex numbers the fact that ## (1+x/n)^n \to e^x ## for any real ##x##. I didn't think too much about it. But now you ask I would say something like

## | (1+ ia/n)^n - e^{ia}| = | \sum_{k=0}^n (\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k} - 1) i^k \frac{a^k}{k!} - \sum_{k> n}i^k \frac{a^k}{k!}| ##

and by the triangle inequality
##| (1+ ia/n)^n - e^{ia}| \le \sum_{k=0}^n |\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k} - 1| \frac{|a|^k}{k!} + \sum_{k> n} \frac{|a|^k}{k!}##

The second term converges to 0 as ##n\to \infty## as it is the rest of a convergent sum
The first term also converges to 0 as for any ##\epsilon >0## there exist ##N\in\mathbb{N}## such that ## n\ge N \Rightarrow |\frac{n(n-1)...(n-k+1)}{n^k} - 1| \le \epsilon ## and the term ## \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{|a|^k}{k!} ## is bounded by ## e^{|a|} ##.

Hope it is correct

Likes fresh_42
You cannot take the real sequence and pretend the complex would behave in the same way.
Btw ##\begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} = \frac{n(n-1) \cdot ... \cdot (n-k+1)}{1 \cdot ... \cdot k} ≠ \frac{n(n-1) \cdot ... \cdot (n-k+1)}{n^k} ##.
But you can take your formulas and calculate ##C_n(a)^n = P \cdot D_n(a)^n \cdot P^{-1}##.
This results in sums of ##(1+iα)^n## and ##(1-iα)^n## (with some ##±i## coefficients) and ##α=\frac{a}{n}##.
Now expand both with the binomial formula and look what cancels out due to ##i^n##.
What's left should converge and since ##U## is real the limit should as well be real.

My first approach was simply calculating some powers of ##U, C##, resp.
If I made no mistakes there are many terms of increasing powers of ##α##.

Last edited:
geoffrey159 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the limit as ##n \to \infty ## of ##U_n(a) =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & a/n \\ 0 & -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}^n##, for any real ##a##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I find ##U =\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \cos a & \sin a \\ 0 & -\sin a & \cos a \end{pmatrix}## but I'm not too sure. Do you think it is correct ?

I wrote ##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (C_n(a))^n \end{pmatrix} ##, where ## C_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & a/n \\ -a/n & 1 \end{pmatrix}##

Then I diagonalized ##C_n(a)## in ##M_2(\mathbb{C})## so that

##U_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & P \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & (D_n(a))^n \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & P^{-1} \end{pmatrix} ##

with ##D_n(a) = \begin{pmatrix} 1+ia/n & 0 \\ 0 & 1 - ia/n \end{pmatrix} ##, ##P = \begin{pmatrix} i & i \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}##, and ##P^{-1} = \frac{1}{2i}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & -i \\ 1 & i \end{pmatrix} ##

and then ##(D_n(a))^n \to \begin{pmatrix} e^{ia} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-ia} \end{pmatrix}##

Well done, clearly presented and a pleasure to read. To satisfy #2 you might mention that ##(1 + ia/n)^n \to e^{ia}##, etc.

Likes geoffrey159
fresh_42 said:
You cannot take the real sequence and pretend the complex would behave in the same way.
Btw ##\begin{pmatrix} n \\ k \end{pmatrix} = \frac{n(n-1) \cdot ... \cdot (n-k+1)}{1 \cdot ... \cdot k} ≠ \frac{n(n-1) \cdot ... \cdot (n-k+1)}{n^k} ##.
But you can take your formulas and calculate ##C_n(a)^n = P \cdot D_n(a)^n \cdot P^{-1}##.
This results in sums of ##(1+iα)^n## and ##(1-iα)^n## (with some ##±i## coefficients) and ##α=\frac{a}{n}##.
Now expand both with the binomial formula and look what cancels out due to ##i^n##.
What's left should converge and since ##U## is real the limit should as well be real.

My first approach was simply calculating some powers of ##U, C##, resp.
If I made no mistakes there are many terms of increasing powers of ##α##.

Edit: I've seen it now. Sorry. (Where has my delete option gone to?)

Likes geoffrey159
Thank you !

Related to The Limit of a Matrix Sequence as n Approaches Infinity

1. What is a "Limit of a matrix sequence"?

The limit of a matrix sequence is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of matrices as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity. It is similar to the concept of a limit in calculus, but instead of a single value, it describes the convergence of a sequence of matrices to a specific matrix.

2. How is the limit of a matrix sequence calculated?

The limit of a matrix sequence is calculated by taking the limit of each element in the matrix as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity. This can be done using various methods such as the squeeze theorem, the comparison test, or the ratio test.

3. What is the significance of the limit of a matrix sequence in science?

The limit of a matrix sequence has many practical applications in science, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the prediction of the long-term behavior of systems described by matrices, which can aid in decision making and problem-solving.

4. Are there any conditions for a matrix sequence to have a limit?

Yes, there are certain conditions that must be met for a matrix sequence to have a limit. The sequence must be convergent, meaning that the values of the elements in the matrix must approach a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. Additionally, the sequence must be bounded, meaning that the values of the elements must not exceed a certain range.

5. Can the limit of a matrix sequence be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a matrix sequence can be infinite. This can occur when the elements in the matrix increase or decrease without bound as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In this case, the limit of the matrix sequence is said to be divergent, as it does not converge to a specific matrix but instead approaches infinity.