The law of conservation of momentum

In summary, the question asks for the final velocity of a trailer after 450 kg of cement falls into it while it is rolling away at a speed of 20 m/s. The solution involves balancing the momenta in the x and y directions, taking into account the momentum of the Earth, and considering the conservation of momentum in a collision.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

a trailer with a mass of 150 kg happen to roll away with the speed 20 m/s. 450 kg cement fall staight down into the trailer! which speeds does the trailer get when the cement fall into it?

Homework Equations

[/B]
I know how to solve it but I don't know why it works. Is it because this counts as a collision?

The Attempt at a Solution

150 * 20 = V(150+450)

Physics news on Phys.org
Where the situation is collision or merge, it satisfies
[tex] p_i = p_f. [/tex]
That's it.

Drizzy said:
Is it because this counts as a collision?
You can think of it as a collision. Or just think of "trailer + cement" as a system whose momentum (at least horizontally) is conserved.

okay thanks :)

Drizzy said:

Homework Statement

a trailer with a mass of 150 kg happen to roll away with the speed 20 m/s. 450 kg cement fall staight down into the trailer! which speeds does the trailer get when the cement fall into it?

Homework Equations

[/B]
I know how to solve it but I don't know why it works. Is it because this counts as a collision?

The Attempt at a Solution

150 * 20 = V(150+450)

Momentum is described by a vector, because velocity is a vector. You can bilance the momenta before and after the cement fell on the trailer in two perpendicular directions (x / horizontal & y / vertical) - in both directions momentum has to be conserved.

x: mT ⋅vT1x + mC ⋅vC1x = mT ⋅vT2x + mC ⋅vC2x = 150 kg ⋅ 20 m/s + 450 kg ⋅ 0 m/s = 150 kg ⋅ vT2x + 450 kg ⋅ vC2x with T2x = vC2x

The sum of the momenta of both objects in x-direction remains the same.

y: mT ⋅vT1y + mC ⋅vC1y = mT ⋅vT2y + mC ⋅vC2y = 150 kg ⋅ 0 m/s + 450 kg ⋅ vC1y > 150 kg ⋅ 0 + 450 kg ⋅ 0 m/s

As the momenta of the two objects can't be the same, a force must have affected them - the earth. Taking into account the momentum of Earth (assuming it was standing still, when the cement hit the trailer):

y: mT ⋅vT1y + mC ⋅vC1y + mE ⋅vE1y = mT ⋅vT2y + mC ⋅vC2y + mE ⋅vE2y = 150 kg ⋅ 0 m/s + 450 kg ⋅ vC1y + 5.6 ⋅1024 kg ⋅0 m/s = 150 kg ⋅ vT2y + 450 kg ⋅ vCy2 + 5.6 ⋅1024 kg ⋅ vE2y with vT2y = vC2y = vE2y

and you can calculate what's the velocity of the Earth (+ trailer + cement), due to this collision.

Related to The law of conservation of momentum

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the collision or interaction.

How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

Why is the law of conservation of momentum important?

The law of conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that governs the behavior of objects in motion. It helps us understand and predict the outcomes of collisions and interactions between objects.

Does the law of conservation of momentum apply to all types of collisions?

Yes, the law of conservation of momentum applies to all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. In an elastic collision, both the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only the total momentum is conserved.

Can the law of conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. If it appears that momentum is not conserved in a particular situation, it is because there are external forces acting on the system that are not being accounted for.