The intersection of a plane and a sphere proof

In summary, we are given a plane that intersects a sphere at more than two points, forming a circle. We are asked to prove that the second derivative of a unit speed parameterization of the circle is orthogonal to the sphere at all points if and only if the plane passes through the origin. To solve this, we can apply a rotation so that the plane is parallel to the xy-plane and use the parametric equation of the circle to calculate the acceleration vector. We then show that this vector is tangent to the sphere by proving that it is orthogonal to the tangent plane at any given point. To prove the other direction, we cannot assume the premise and therefore cannot use a rotation, so we must come up with a different approach to show that
ky2345

Homework Statement

When a plane intersects a sphere at more than two points, it is a circle (given). Let x^2+y^2+z^2=1 be a sphere S, and P be a plane that intersects S to make a circle (called C). Let q:[a,b] -> R^3 be a unit speed parameterization whose trace is C. Prove that the second derivative of q, q''(t), is orthogonal to S for all t iff P passes through the origin.

Homework Equations

- q''(t) is orthogonal to S at a specific point q(t_0) if q''(t) is orthogonal to the tangent plane of S at q(t_0)
- two vectors are orthogonal iff their dot product is zero (I'm letting * denote dot product)
- A curve is parameterized by arclength exactly when it has unit speed

The Attempt at a Solution

let P be the plane that intersects the origin, and let n be a vector that is orthogonal to P emitting from the origin. Then, an equation for the plane is n*x=0. The vector equation for the sphere is |x|^2=1, or x*x=1. Then, I can say that x*x+n*x=1 is an equation for the circle, or q(t)*q(t)+n*q(t)=1 if we plug in the parameterization. Now, differentiating with respect to t two times, I get that 2[q(t)*q''(t)+q'(t)*q'(t)]+n*q''(t)=0. I know that q'(t)*q'(t)=|q'(t)|^2=1 because q is unit speed. I'm stuck here because I don't know how to do the following two things:
(1) prove that q(t)*q''(t)=-1
(2) Then prove that since n and q''(t) are orthogonal for all t, q"(t) is orthogonal to the tangent plane at any given t_0 in [a,b]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simplify your computations somewhat by applying a rotation so that [tex]P[/tex] is parallel to the [tex]xy[/tex]-plane. Now you should be able to write down the parametric equation for [tex]C[/tex] explicitly.

It is not correct to say that [tex]\vec{x} \cdot \vec{x} + \vec{n} \cdot \vec{x} = 1[/tex] is an equation for [tex]C[/tex]; this is an equation for a quadric surface which contains [tex]C[/tex]. For example, if [tex]P[/tex] is the [tex]xy[/tex]-plane and [tex]\vec{n} = (0, 0, 1)[/tex], the surface is the sphere [tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + z = 1[/tex], or [tex]x^2 + y^2 + (z + \textstyle\frac12)^2 = \textstyle\frac54[/tex].

If I apply a rotation, and I know that (cos(t), sin(t)) is the arclength parameterization for a circle, then can I just use those formulas to prove that the acceleration is tangent to the sphere? How do I apply a rotation, should I just say I'm applying a rotation and viewing P as the xy plane, or do I have to somehow apply formulas to apply the rotation? If I use the (cos(t), sin(t) equations, I know that the acceleration is (-cos(t), -sin(t)). Now, how would I come up with the formula for the tangent plane to try to show that the acceleration is orthogonal?

Also, I have to do it in the other direction, that is, prove that if the acceleration vector is tangent to the sphere, then the plane P passes through the origin. However, since I can't assume my premise, I can't apply a rotation that time.

Related to The intersection of a plane and a sphere proof

1. What is the intersection of a plane and a sphere?

The intersection of a plane and a sphere is the set of points that lie on both the plane and the sphere. It can be visualized as a circle or an ellipse, depending on the orientation of the plane and the size of the sphere.

2. How can the intersection of a plane and a sphere be proven?

The intersection of a plane and a sphere can be proven using geometric principles and equations. One common proof involves finding the equation of the plane and the equation of the sphere, and then solving for the points where the two equations are equal.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of a plane and a sphere?

The intersection of a plane and a sphere has many practical applications in fields such as geometry, engineering, and physics. It can be used to solve problems involving the relationship between a plane and a spherical object, such as finding the distance between a plane and a satellite orbiting the Earth.

4. Can the intersection of a plane and a sphere be empty?

Yes, the intersection of a plane and a sphere can be empty if the plane and the sphere do not intersect at any points. This can happen if the plane is parallel to the sphere or if the sphere is completely contained within the plane.

5. Are there any other shapes that can intersect a sphere?

Yes, there are other shapes that can intersect a sphere, such as a line, a cone, or a cylinder. However, the intersection of a plane and a sphere is the most common and well-studied case.