The impossibility of absolute rigidity during collisions

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of perfectly rigid spheres colliding and the idea that all objects must have some degree of elasticity. It was concluded that, given differentiable velocity, the colliding bodies cannot be perfectly rigid. The concept of compression and its role in force during collisions and mass-to-mass interactions was also explored. It was mentioned that even atoms must be compressed to create force. The conversation ended with a question about whether this concept is usually taught and an example of a similar deformation occurring with tension.
kotreny
Let's say we have two perfectly rigid spheres. One is at rest and the other is moving toward it with some differentiable velocity. When they collide, the first sphere will start moving with infinitesimal velocity and the second will reduce its speed by an infinitesimal amount. But since the spheres can't go through each other or distort themselves at all, the respective accelerations must be instantaneous, or else there would be a short discrepancy in their velocities and the distance they each must travel.

My conclusion is that, given differentiable velocity, the colliding bodies cannot be perfectly rigid.

I'm teaching myself mechanics, so I don't know when professors remind their students of this. I think it's an interesting point that, in theory, all things must be elastic to some degree. This occurred to me just today though, and I would like to know if I'm wrong. If I'm not, please tell me who first stated it.

Physics news on Phys.org
kotreny said:
My conclusion is that, given differentiable velocity, the colliding bodies cannot be perfectly rigid.
Yes, given differentiable velocity. If the spheres have some mass, an instantaneous velocity change would mean infinite forces.

I thought about it, and realized that compression not only has to exist, it causes the force during a collision, or just about any mass-to-mass interaction you can think of. In fact, compression is inherent in the very nature of mass and it's ability to influence other masses. Pushing something would be theoretically impossible if your hand were completely rigid. Even atoms must be compressed to create any force.

I never thought about mass this precisely before. Is it something people are usually taught?

A similar deformation of supposedly rigid objects occurs with tension. Tie one end of a rope to a building. Use your hand or a machine to pull the rope with force F. The building will also pull the rope with force F, a force pointed the other way (which is why the rope doesn't accelerate.) How does the building apply a force to the rope? The molecular bonds in the building are deformed slightly, and behave as stretched springs.

Related to The impossibility of absolute rigidity during collisions

1. What is absolute rigidity and why is it impossible during collisions?

Absolute rigidity refers to the idea that an object cannot be deformed or bent in any way. During collisions, this concept is impossible because the forces involved in the collision cause objects to deform and change shape.

2. What factors contribute to the lack of absolute rigidity during collisions?

There are several factors that contribute to the lack of absolute rigidity during collisions. These include the speed and force of the collision, the materials involved, and the shape and size of the objects.

3. Can absolute rigidity ever be achieved in collisions?

No, it is impossible for absolute rigidity to be achieved during collisions. Even with extremely strong and rigid materials, the forces involved in collisions will always cause some degree of deformation.

4. How does the lack of absolute rigidity affect the outcome of collisions?

The lack of absolute rigidity during collisions means that the objects involved will deform and change shape, which can affect the outcome of the collision. This can lead to different amounts of energy being transferred and different levels of damage to the objects.

5. How does the concept of absolute rigidity apply to real-world collisions?

In real-world collisions, absolute rigidity is not possible. This is because all objects, no matter how strong or rigid, will deform to some degree when they collide. This is an important concept to understand when designing safety measures and structures to withstand collisions.