The heuristic understanding of polarization operator?

In summary, the book discusses a variation of the classical polarization formula, stating that the polarization propogator can be defined as the ratio of the dielectronic response function (ε) to the bare Coulomb potential (v). This is similar to the classical definition of polarization, but with the use of the total potential instead of just the external potential.
tghg
I find that some book e.g. Many-body theory of solids by John C. Inkson P145
says that :" By analogy with the classical polarization, we define a polarization
propagator through the relationship ... ε=1-vP" , where ε is the dielectronic response function, and v is the bare Coulomb potential.
I do not remember such relationship in electrodynamics. Can anybody remind me of it?

In fact, on the next page in the book, I find a new relationship i.e. P=δρ/δV, where V is the total potential instead of external potential and ρ is the electron density.
But is there any similarity between this polarization function P and the classical polarization?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship that the book mentions is actually a variation of the classical polarization formula. In classical electrodynamics, the polarization P is defined as the ratio of the induced electric dipole moment (δρ) to the applied electric field (δV). This is the same relationship that is mentioned in the book, but using the total potential instead of just the external potential. Therefore, while there is a similarity between the classical polarization formula and the one mentioned in the book, the two formulas are not exactly the same.

Related to The heuristic understanding of polarization operator?

1. What is the polarization operator and why is it important in science?

The polarization operator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the interactions between charged particles. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, and is crucial in many scientific fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

2. How is the polarization operator calculated?

The polarization operator is calculated using mathematical equations and techniques from quantum mechanics. It involves taking into account the interactions between particles and their electric fields, as well as their quantum mechanical properties.

3. What is the relationship between the polarization operator and electric fields?

The polarization operator describes the response of a material to an external electric field. It helps us understand how electric fields can affect the behavior and properties of matter.

4. How does the heuristic understanding of the polarization operator differ from the mathematical approach?

The heuristic understanding of the polarization operator is an intuitive, conceptual way of understanding its role and significance in quantum mechanics. It involves using analogies and simplified explanations to grasp the basic principles, while the mathematical approach involves rigorous calculations and equations.

5. Can the polarization operator be applied to non-polar materials?

Yes, the polarization operator can be applied to both polar and non-polar materials. In non-polar materials, it describes the induced dipole moments and how they respond to external electric fields. In polar materials, it also takes into account the intrinsic dipole moments of the particles.