The gravitational force between the aircraft and Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the position of a spaceship on the Earth-Moon center line where the gravitational forces of both bodies cancel out, resulting in the craft being weightless. The respondent presents two equations and after solving for the variables, confirms that the answer appears correct. However, there is a question about the mass ratio between the Earth and the Moon. The respondent suggests using algebraic form for a clearer understanding of the solution and mentions using Wikipedia as a source for data on the planets and their satellites.
Omid
Here is a problem, please let me know whether my answer is right or wrong.

Locate the position of a spaceship on the Earth-Moon center line such that the tug of each celestial body exerts on it would cancel and the craft would literally be weightless.

I found two equations:
A.
(Distance between the aircraft and the Earth) + (Distance between the aircraft and Moon) = (Distance between the Earth and Moon)

B.
(The gravitational force between the aircraft and Moon) = ( The gravitational force between the aircraft and the Earth)

After doing the Algebra:
The distance between the aircraft and the Earth = 350 * 10^6 meters
Distance between the aircraft and Moon = 34 * 10^6 meters

As I expected, the air craft is nearer to Moon. So the less distance will cancel by the more mass of the Earth. But there is a question. If my answer is right, I'll ask it.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's rather difficult to answer this, because it requires that the respondent remembers the actual VALUES involved. It would have been much better if you gave your answer in algebraic form, say:
[tex]\frac{r_{m}}{r_{e}}=\sqrt{\frac{m_{m}}{m_{e}}}[/tex]
Subscripts are for "moon" and "earth" respectively, and the equation then says:
The ratio between the spaceship's distances to the moon and the Earth, equals the square-root of the respective mass ratio.

You're therefor saying that the moon has about a hundredth of the Earth's mass; I would have thought it to be much less.

Note:
I was wrong; I looked it up, and found:
[tex]m_{m}\approx0.0123m_{e}[/tex]
that is, your answer is probably right..

Last edited:
Your answer appears correct.

arildno said:
It's rather difficult to answer this, because it requires that the respondent remembers the actual VALUES involved. It would have been much better if you gave your answer in algebraic form, say:
[tex]\frac{r_{m}}{r_{e}}=\sqrt{\frac{m_{m}}{m_{e}}}[/tex]
Subscripts are for "moon" and "earth" respectively, and the equation then says:
The ratio between the spaceship's distances to the moon and the Earth, equals the square-root of the respective mass ratio.

You're therefor saying that the moon has about a hundredth of the Earth's mass; I would have thought it to be much less.

I looked up the values on wikipedia which is quite a useful source for data about the planets and their satellites.

jcsd said:
I looked up the values on wikipedia which is quite a useful source for data about the planets and their satellites.
I had to check..I was wrong (as I've edited my post to)..:redface:

Related to The gravitational force between the aircraft and Moon

1. What is the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon?

The gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon is the attractive force that exists between the two objects due to their masses. It is a result of the universal law of gravitation, which states that any two objects with mass will exert a gravitational force on each other.

2. How does the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon affect the aircraft's flight?

The gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon is relatively small compared to other forces acting on the aircraft during flight, such as lift and drag. However, it can slightly affect the flight path and trajectory of the aircraft, especially during maneuvers near the Moon's surface.

3. Is the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon constant?

No, the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon is not constant. It depends on the distance between the two objects and their masses. As the aircraft moves closer or farther away from the Moon, the gravitational force will change accordingly.

4. How does the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon compare to the gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon?

The gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon is significantly smaller than the gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon. This is because the Earth has a much larger mass than an aircraft and therefore exerts a stronger gravitational force on the Moon.

5. Can the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon be used for propulsion?

No, the gravitational force between an aircraft and the Moon cannot be used for propulsion. This is because the force acts in the direction of the two objects' masses, and therefore cannot provide a push or pull in a specific direction to propel the aircraft.